Species ID Help Please - Fungi and Flora

Unusual sightings of scarce species, unusual behaviour of species, or new species to the Cheshire region can be reported here for all to enjoy.

Species ID Help Please - Fungi and Flora

Postby ourbirds on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Species ID Help Please - Fungi and Flora:

Hi folks, please could you help me id these species. One is a very bizarre looking mushroom and the other a rather strange little plant. I'm sure I've seen the plant in an id guide somewhere so it's probably not that unusual but the mushroom.. who knows?!

It might also help you to know that we saw both of these near to Talacre beach.

SAM_0276.JPG
odd plant

Attachments
SAM_0277.JPG
strange mushroom
ourbirds

Re: species id help please fungi and flora

Postby anno on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am

first response without books - a Spurge (Euphorbia sp.) Sun?Wood?

and your Mushy a Morel type...
anno

Re: Species ID Help Please - Fungi and Flora

Postby SteveMcBill on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

The plant is Spring Beauty (Claytonia perfoliata) - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytonia_perfoliata

The fungus looks to be a Morel or possibly a False Morel and needs a closer look.

Steve

SteveMcBill

Re: Species ID Help Please - Fungi and Flora

Postby ourbirds on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Re the mushroom, the best photo we got is up there I'm afraid and we live too far away from Talacre to revisit. What I can tell you is I saw it and thought it was some strange bit of seaweed dropped by a bird so I nudged it with my foot and too my surprise it bounced back and clearly had a thick stem (and thus my realisation that it was a mushroom or toadstool!). I've never seen anything like it before, it does look very much like the mushroom you described, only I would say less pointed but maybe this is a standard variation.

Any further clarification would be great if that helps at all, didn't expect it to be anything interesting enough to try and get a sample! If anyone lives locally enough to visit it is on the Natterjack Toad area to the side of the path to the beach.

ourbirds

Return to Species News