Chester Zoo BioBlitz - 16/17 May 2015

An area for archived forum posts
SteveMcBill

Chester Zoo BioBlitz - 16/17 May 2015

Post by SteveMcBill »

Chester Zoo BioBlitz - 16/17 May 2015:

The 2015 BioBlitz at Chester Zoo is on for Saturday 16th May and Sunday 17th May 2015.

· We will be recording between 12 noon on Saturday and 12 noon on Sunday, and everyone is welcome for as long or short a spell as they can manage.

· Please try to arrive at one of the start times below, when someone will be available to register you and provide maps, instructions, lunches etc.

· The 24 hours will be divided into sessions as follows:

Start time: Sat 12 Noon (picnic Lunch Provided If Required)
End time: Sat 6pm - Meet at Cedar House Reception - 7pm: FISH AND CHIP SUPPER
Sat 8pm - Cedar House Reception - Bats & Moths

Sunday: 6am-9am - Zoo Car-park Nature Reserve - Birds & Mammals
9.15am - Breakfast
10am (Picnic Lunch Provided If Required) till 12 Noon - Moths & General Recording - Cedar House Reception

· There will be opportunities to record in the zoo itself, and on the wider zoo estate (farmland) and nature reserve area.

· Please bring along your own recording gear and reference books

· We will have a room available for study of specimens, and I hope to have a couple of microscopes available.

· If you require a simple packed lunch on either day please let me know by Tuesday 12th May – meat or vegetarian options available. I can only provide these if pre-ordered. (If you do not order lunch you will need to bring your own lunch or buy something in the zoo.)

· As I mentioned previously, it will be informal this year, with no public engagement required. I just want to get some good records for the Zoo site. The Discovery and Learning team will be handling public/zoo visitor recording so we don’t need to get involved in that, though we will have volunteers reporting interesting finds back to the team in the zoo.

· Cheshire Mammal Group members will be holding a meeting between 4pm and 6pm on Saturday.

· A small team will be required to help set small mammal traps on the Saturday evening.

· We hope to run a moth trap and wine ropes, an Anabat, and some camera traps too.

· I have tried to organise good weather, but please bring appropriate outdoor clothing just in case!

Sarah