Recent Shieldbug Additions to the Cheshire (VC58) Checklist

An area for archived forum posts
wirralbirder

Recent Shieldbug Additions to the Cheshire (VC58) Checklist

Post by wirralbirder »

Recent Shieldbug Additions to the Cheshire (VC58) Checklist:

Hi All,

Eric Fletcher's recent sighting of the Bordered Shieldbug (Legnotus limbosus) and my recent observations have led me to find out more about the status of the Shieldbugs in VC 58.

It is well documented that global warming may have contributed to the advancement north of several species of Dragonflies, Butterflies and Moths. I believe this may also be the case with Shieldbugs and their close relatives Squashbugs.

In 1987 Steve Judd, County Recorder for Cheshire and Lancashire, provided a provisional list of Heteroptera (True Bugs) for both counties. This list was amended by Steve McWilliam in 2002. Again in 2011, Steve Judd updated the list and also highlighted those species recorded since 1986 (Judd). So, it is now possible to determine those species added between 1986-2002 and those 2002-2011.

Pre 1986 only ten species were on the Cheshire list: Hawthorn, Juniper, Birch, Parent, Spiked, Heather, Bronze, Blue, Red-legged?Forest and Gorse.

Between the years 1986-2002, five Shieldbugs and two Squashbugs have been added to the list: Pied, Bishop's Mitre, Sloe, Green, and Woundwort. Squash bugs were Denticulate Leatherbug (Coriomeris denticulatus) and Western Conifer Seed Bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis).

The latter was a very recent intoduction to the country as a whole. Pied still is a scarce species but Sloe and Green are very common and widespread. As for myself, I have for the first time recorded Bishop's Mitre and Woundwort in Cheshire in the past week.

The Greater Streaked Shieldbug (Odontosceles fuliginosa) must be regarded as extinct in the county, as all records are pre 1970. Nowadays this sand dune species is restricted mainly to Kent and Pembrokeshire.
Now we can add Bordered Shieldbug (Legnoytus limbosus) bringing the Cheshire total to sixteen extant species.

Nationally we have thirty-three Shieldbug and ten Squashbug species excluding vagrants and rare migrants. We have also lost one resident species (Pitedia juniperina).

Cheers,
H.Davies