Sea Slater - Ligia Oceanic - The Coastal Woodlouse

An area for archived forum posts
SteveMcBill

Sea Slater - Ligia Oceanic - The Coastal Woodlouse

Post by SteveMcBill »

The Sea Slater or Common Sea Slater (Ligia oceanica) is a largish crustacean related to the woodlice. It reaches 3 cm in length and is greyish in colour. It's one of the typical species from the supralittoral level. It lives in rock cracks, small caves and other places where there is relatively constant humidity concentration. On cloudy days or at times of less insolation time it's possible to find them above the rocks.

In the Cheshire region rECOrd's database holds records from the rocky shore surrounding Hilbre Island off West Kirby on the Wirral coast.

Does this species exist anywhere else on the Wirral coastline, perhaps further up the estuaries (Dee and Mersey) or is it found on the Flintshire side of the River Dee or on the Merseyside coast bordering the River Mersey ?

rECOrd would love to know of any such records past, present (or future when you find the species). If you have any records of this animal then please do send them in to rECOrd - e-mail: data@rECOrd-LRC.co.uk; Tel. 01244 383749, or via the rECOrd Online Data Input System (RODIS) which can be found by clicking the large 'RODIS' button on the Home Page of the rECOrd website - http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Cheers

Steve :)
fletcher

Re: Sea Slater - Ligia Oceanic - The Coastal Woodlouse

Post by fletcher »

Hi Steve, I have had a look at the species on the net trying to find out more about it and the marlin website came up and it doesn't have it recorded on the Wirral. I am not sure where they get their data from? It would be good to set up an exchange agreement.

Not much help on further sightings, but it does say it is only found on rocky shorelines, as you are mentioning, perhaps I could go out and have a look!!

Cheers,

Eric
John_Bratton

Post by John_Bratton »

It would be petty of me to point out that crustaceans are not myriapods, so I won't.

John Bratton
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Thanks for that John - sadly there was not a closer group in which to put the posting. Also, seeing as the British Myriapod Group also cover Isopoda it did seem the most appropriate forum group to put it.

Cheers

Steve :)
John_Bratton

Post by John_Bratton »

The British Myriapod Group and British Isopod Study Group put out a joint newsletter and hold joint field meetings (Easter in Cornwall next year, if anyone is interested). And the BISG are broad-minded enough to allow amphipod articles.

John