Oak Hybrids

An area for archived forum posts
Tom

Oak Hybrids

Post by Tom »

Oak Hybrids:

We have a record of a hybrid between Turkey and Sessile Oaks. Unfortunately we can't find an accepted name for it. Can anyone help us out? Does such a cross exist? What might its scientific name be? Q. cerris × petraea isn't in the dictionary.

Thanks.
Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
anno

Re: Oak Hybrids

Post by anno »

Are we talking Quercus x rosacea on this one?

(It is still debatable that this exists at all and would be very rare without some form of Frankensteinian jiggery pokery.....)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Sounds sensible. The only thing is that the record was a while ago and I can't remember where or what it was.

Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

I don't see what is odd about Quercus x rosacea. The two parents often grow together and the hybrid is probably very common; commoner than the parents in some areas. It depends how tightly you define the two species.

The Quercus Tom mentions does not appear to have a name and may not exist.

Graeme

anno

Post by anno »

A quote from the BSBI species accounts;

A study involving DNA analysis with nuclear microsatellite markers has provided molecular evidence suggesting these possible hybrids are in fact the pure species, Q. cerris, with confusion seemingly having arisen due to the extreme variability in leaf shape of Q. cerris, (McGinn 2010). This conclusion is supported by the opinions of many botanists in disallowing older records of the putative hybrid, e.g. Stace 2010.

Hence me questioning the original Q.cerris hybrid.