Possible Sinodendron cylindricum

An area for archived forum posts
fletcher

Possible Sinodendron cylindricum

Post by fletcher »

Possible Sinodendron cylindricum:

Hello all,

Had this specimen in Cymau Quarry woods a couple of weeks ago and I wondered whether anyone could help with an ID?

It looks superficially like Sinodendron cylindricum. The pronotum seems very distinctive, but from my angle of view I didn't get to see any form of horn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Attachments
Sinodendron cylindricum ??
Sinodendron cylindricum ??
SteveMcBill

Re: Possible Sinodendron cylindricum

Post by SteveMcBill »

Eric,

I think I can see the top of a horn at the front of the head BUT even if I am wrong females of this species do not have a horn. So, I would say it IS a specimen of Sinodendron cylindricum and I still think it is a male with that shape of pronotum.

To see other photos of this species (definitely look at the last one for the photo of a female- bottom right) see here:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... Aw&dur=253

Steve

DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hello Eric,

It is Sinodendron cylindricum and male - the females don't have the scooped out front to the pronotum or the horn. The horn doesn't show up very well as the photograph was taken looking straight down at it - a more oblique view would show it.

A local species, it is found in various deciduous trees, especially Beech or Birch, and can be abundant. If you find a dead tree riddled with numerous large holes it is likely to be this species.

Cheers,
Don

fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Thanks Steve & Don,

I wish I had spent a bit longer looking at it now and tried to get a side view.

As I was taking the photographs it was backing into the crack in the stump it emerged from so I didn't have much time sadly. The horn seems fairly conspicuous on the images I have seen around which was the major cause of uncertainty for me. I originally suspected it may be a female, but as you say the female doesn't seem to have the scooped out pronotum.

Many thanks again for your assistance.

Eric