Cerambyx Sp??

An area for archived forum posts
fletcher

Cerambyx Sp??

Post by fletcher »

Hello all, yet again I am here asking for an id please!

I have some really fuzzy pictures that don't show the right parts of the subject!!

This specimen was taken from a piece of wood described as a "wet piece of european oak" in a wood working business in Buckley. It came from a large knot in the wood that was described as rotten.

I have asked as to the provenance of the oak, but at present the person I had the specimen from was unsure, but he felt that as the wood was still very wet he thought it could be local? (Local was his word - I think he was thinking UK at least)

At present that is as much as I know!

Any help towards a positive id would be really welcome and some advice as to what I do with it now?!

Thanks,

Eric
Attachments
IMG_5191.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5176.JPG
DonSten

Re: Cerambyx Sp??

Post by DonSten »

Hi Eric
It is indeed a Cerambycid and I shall be back shortly with a diagnosis - it looks similar to one that I am writing a note about.
Cheers
Don
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hi Eric

It looks like a male Cerambyx cerdo L. I was a bit thrown by the short looking antennae, then realised that they are bent down or have broken off?
This is one of the largest longhorn species in Europe and is found widely on various deciduous trees, especially Oak. It’s extinct in the UK, as is the sibling species Cerambyx scopoli Fuessly, so this specimen is likely to have come from imported timber.
I am writing a note about another large imported Cerambycid and a Bostrychid (the latter for the Sentinel), so could do likewise about this if that is OK?
So, what to do with it – can you send it to me, or I could come up to Chester Zoo for it? There are a couple of similar species, so I would like to have a better look at it.

Cheers
Don
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hi Eric
I am a little embarrassed to admit that I mis-read the subject of your first email. I thought it said Cerambycid sp?? - hence my reply, confirming that it was (when you had gone a notch up from that to the genus).
My lousy internet connection has not allowed me to post this earlier!

Cheers
Don
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Hi Don, thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated.

I am really sorry for not getting back to you until now, things are a little hectic at the moment.

I still have the specimen, and it is moving about quite happily when its dark!!!

I understand that they are particularly rare from what I have read about them.

You are very welcome to take a look if you are interested, just let me know.

Cheers,

Eric