An area for archived forum posts
wirralbirder

Ground Beetle Poecilus cupreus/versicolor

Post by wirralbirder »

Ground Beetle Poecilus cupreus/versicolor:
Poecilus cupreus/versicolor  ???
Poecilus cupreus/versicolor ???
Hi All,

Another ID poser. I think that this is a member of the Poecilus genus. I am leaning towards P.cupreus as the first two segments of the antennae are reddish and not dark like the rest. It was recorded during a sunny part of the day making its way across a path into some long grass at Burton Mere wetlands on 04th September 2015.

Cheers,
H

[/color]
DonSten

Re: Ground Beetle Poecilus cupreus/versicolor

Post by DonSten »

Hello Harry,

It is Poecilus but it's not really possible to give a definite ID to the species. The antennal feature you mention is no use as both P.cupreus and P.versicolor have pale basal segments. What you need to look at is whether it has punctures between the eyes and 8 or more fairly fine setae on the inner edge of the hind tibiae - if so to both of these it's P.cupreus. Lack of punctures and less, coarser setae means P.versicolor.

I can't see the leg feature or make out any punctures. You need a much clearer image showing the back legs and preferably another of the head taken obliquely. The middle legs possibly suggest P.versicolor and that does favour damper situations - but that is a tentative ID. :)

Cheers,
Don

wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi Don,

Does this image help ??

Cheers,
H

Attachments
???
???
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Slightly - it's still not clear enough really.

However, based on what I can see of the mid and hind legs, I still lean towards P.versicolor.

Cheers,
Don