A beetle specimen for ID!!

An area for archived forum posts
fletcher

A beetle specimen for ID!!

Post by fletcher »

Hello all, I am afraid I have absolutely no idea about this one. However if anyone should like to have a look and is able to id it from my poor photos then please do!!

I am afraid I don't know where to start with this beelte.

Thanks,

Eric
Attachments
IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4772.JPG
DonSten

Re: A beetle specimen for ID!!

Post by DonSten »

Hi Eric
This is a Tenebrionid and I have an idea what species, but I can't judge the size and it looks like it may have damage to the pronotum - it appears indented. How big was it?
Cheers
Don
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Eric

Most beetles (as with a lot of inverts) are almost impossible to identify (ID) from photos - the very few that can give false hope to many who do not like having to dispatch one or two to obtain an identity. However, it is important to do so - the old adage/question of 'How can you protect what you do not know you have' is very true.

In this case (and with other cases of 'found' beetles, your best bet would be to send one or two off to Don to have a good look at. I am sure he will do his utmost to provide an identification and should the specimen prove to be interesting or scarce it will likely end up in Don's collection (for posterity) or in a Museum collection (Liverpool or Manchester). I would also think that if it remains in Don's possession that a number of years hence it will end up at one of the above Museums anyway. This obviously means that your own name will be preserved for posterity both in the rECOrd database against the record for the identified specimen and with the specimen in the relevant collection.

Cheers

Steve
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Hi both, thanks for the response.

Don: the specimen is under 10mm (I would estimate between 5-8mm).

I still have the specimens on my desk so if it is of interest then I can keep it for you.

Cheers,

Eric
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Steve
You've hit the nail on the head re photo's - it is quite often just a fluke that the person photographing the insect has taken a picture that shows the features you need for ID. Many pictures are also out of focus and you can embarrass yourself if attempting to please and or show off by hazarding a guess.
You are also correct re the collection thing, to a point.I hope eventually to leave mine to a person who will find it useful. Museums these days have constraints on what they can acquire and in fact are talking a lot about how to get rid of stuff, or having 'dynamic collections' ie. you get rid of or loan something to enable new material to come in.
The Tenebrionid might be Alphitobius diaperinus, the size is about right, but there are 'issues'. Does the pronotum look as if it has been buckled?
cheers
Don