Insect ID

An area for archived forum posts
Susanne

Insect ID

Post by Susanne »

Do you know if this is a beetle larva? It was under a plantpot in the greenhouse but I cannot identify from my books. Thanks.
IMG_4826.JPG
IMG_4825.JPG
[/color]
DonSten

Re: Insect ID

Post by DonSten »

Hi Susanne,

It is a beetle larva, and is one of the rove beetles (Staphylinidae). I can't tell you which one, but I suspect it is not very small, so probably a Quedius or Philonthus species - both genera are very speciose and you can find a number of species in compost heaps, grass cuttings, leaf litter etc.

There are keys to larvae of some beetle families, but this isn't one of them.

Cheers
Don
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Thank you. I thought it might be Staphylinide (Philonthus flumineus) - looking at this photo I found on the Internet. However I don't know their habitat so, is it more likely to be Ocypus olens (Devil's Coach-horse) as I find the adult form quite often. Any thoughts ?
rove beetle.jpg
[/color]
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hi Susanne,

Just came across this message and realised you never got an answer! Too late now I know.
It was not Ocypus olens - that has a large (when it is fully developed) fierce looking black larva with big 'gnashers'. Incidentally I have been bitten by Ocypus a few times - doesn't hurt but it impresses people when you have an inch long beetle hanging off your finger!

Hope the long wait hasn't put you off posting! Just one that was missed :(

Cheers,
Don