Pogonocherus hispidus

An area for archived forum posts
PaulMartinHill

Pogonocherus hispidus

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Pogonocherus hispidus:

Whilst taking part in the RODIS training day at the CWT's HQ at Bickley Hall, I beat an example of the Longhorn Beetle Pogonocherus hispidus from a Holly bush. On checking both the rECOrd database and the NBN datebase, there are only a handful of records for this small beetle in Cheshire.

Paul
DonSten

Re: Pogonocherus hispidus

Post by DonSten »

Hi Paul,

I don't think you can always rely too much on electronic records because like an iceberg there is quite often a lot of stuff hidden away, but this looks like quite a good record. In 1947 Kaufmann said 'It is a strange fact that this species, generally the commonest of the genus, is so rare n the county. Ellis took a single example in May fifty years ago, since which time nothing further has been reported of it. It has failed to materialise in this district, in spite of the wealth of obvious habitats'.

It is associated with Holly but does live on other wood, so it is a bit odd that it is less well known in Cheshire considering that it is actually still quite common, mainly down South.

Are you happy that it is P.hispidus and not P.hispidulus ?

I'll be out whacking Holly this week!

Cheers
Don
PaulMartinHill

Re: Pogonocherus hispidus

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Hi Don

If you go to the gallery on the record site, then the last page you'll see a pitcure of the wee beastie. Jeff determined the species from the image, the confusion species has the white basal markings creating a line edge, rather than the semi-circular edge depicted by this specimen.

Cheers and good look with the holly - I'll be looking for more tomorrow

Paul