mushroom for a small one?

An area for archived forum posts
anno

mushroom for a small one?

Post by anno »

Right guys - these aren't the best pictures, but the beast is about 2mm long, n my defence and is associating itself with a Ganoderma sp. fungi and found at Runcorn Hill by Ged Lloyd - I have crunched a few books to no avail, but cunningly I have noticed it has 3 'blobby' things on its antennae thingymajig.......

We have many more photos - all as good!

Any ideas ?
Steno.JPG
DonSten

Re: mushroom for a small one?

Post by DonSten »

Hi Anno

That's a male Cis bilamellatus named for the two plates, one on the head, the other on the pronotum. The female doesn't have either. The Ciids are not easy to ID normally without comparative specimens, but this is one of the most distinctive.
Originally from Australia and first found in Britain in 1884, its's quite common and can be found in large numbers.

Cheers
Don
anno

Post by anno »

as ever you are 'The Man' - cheers Don what a talent you have for identifying obscure beetles.
;)

is it common to find it in Ganoderma bracket fungi?
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Cheers Anno!
You can find it in several Ganoderma spp and Piptoporus betulinus & Laetiporus sulphureous etc.
You can find other Cis spp with it or Octotemnus glabriculus - which looks like a Cis but is shinier.

Cheers
Don
anno

Post by anno »

DonSten wrote:You can find other Cis spp with it or Octotemnus glabriculus - which looks like a Cis but is shinier.

Cheers
Don

Maybe this feller ?

IMG_6011.JPG
Might stand a close up ?
[/color]
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Nah - not shiny enough!
The penny gives a good idea of the size.
Don