Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana)

An area for archived forum posts
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana) in Widnes:

Whilst visiting my parents graves at Widnes cemetery this afternoon (Sunday 05th October 2008) a single adult of the Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana) was found on flowers at a grave-side - (Grid Ref.: SJ51098734). I think this is the first record for the Cheshire region (although Widnes is strictly speaking South Lancs (VC-59)) (perhaps Don Stenhouse - Cheshire's County Coleoptera (Beetle) Recorder could confirm or otherwise - certainly it is the first record on the rECOrd database).

Another South European species moving northwards.

Keep your eyes peeled everyone - especially on Rosemary and/or Lavender upon which plant species this beetle is now a pest in Southern counties.

Cheers

Steve :)
DonSten

Re: Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana)

Post by DonSten »

Hi Steve,

Nice find - partly because it is such a spectacular looking beetle.

As you say, it is regarded as a pest by many southern gardeners, and I have had numerous reports of it from people in the London area. However, it does relatively little damage and spends most of the summer in aestivation, before hibernating in the autumn. This is the same as the life cycle of another leaf beetle Agelastica alni, which has also turned up in the North West after 50 years.

As far as records go, it was first taken in 1963 from a house in Disley, in good old Cheshire! It was suspected that the six adults had come in on pine cones brought back from Portugal. The first outdoor record was almost 30 years later (1994) from Wisley gardens in Surrey. This record is probably the first outdoor Cheshire record. I know of two recent Lancashire records, from a garden in Liverpool and another in Bolton. One of the Bolton specimens is in the Bolton Museum collection, and the other in my own.

See: Johnson, C,. 1963, Chrysolina americana L. (Col., Chrysomelidae) in Britain. Entomologist's Mon Mag., 99: 228-229. / Salisbury, A.N,. 2002, The Rosemary Beetle, Chrysolina americana (L.) (Col., Chrysomelidae) in Britain. Entomologist's Mon Mag., 138: 77-80.

The recent 'Atlas of the Seed and Leaf Beetles of Britain and Ireland ' by Michael Cox has a distribution map and some life cycle information.

Yet another leaf beetle has been reported new to Lancs and Chesh - Luperomorpha xanthodera (Fairmaire), from roses in numerous garden centres. It prefers pale roses of a certain shape and originates from China.

Rose Flea Beetle (Luperomorpha xanthodera).
Rose Flea Beetle (Luperomorpha xanthodera).
Cheers

Don
[/color]
SteveMcBill

Re: Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana)

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Don

Many thanks for that - good information on this species all round.

What it does highlight is the need to push forward the data sharing aspect with rECOrd so that you can get access to all the Coleoptera data and so that rECOrd gains access to the extra data in your own possession so that a much more complete and accurate dataset is held by both areas. By yourself for recording purposes, stimulation of recording, for validation, for gap analysis etc., etc. and by rECOrd to ensure that accurate data are used for the various conservation and development processes with which it finds itself involved.

What brought the above to mind was you mentioning the Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana) being first found in Disley in 1963. This record (a very important one as a first) is NOT on the rECOrd database.

Cheers for now mate, take care, and thanks again.

Steve :)