A few interesting (?) beetles

An area for archived forum posts
Lupercal

A few interesting (?) beetles

Post by Lupercal »

This year after a 5 year break I returned to field entomology working the flies. I also took collateral specimens of other orders swept that were unfamiliar to me or not something I'd often seen in Cheshire. These have/will be added to RODIS and include the following beetles:

Hylecoetus dermestoides female from Little Budworth Common (SJ584657) on 14 May 2012

Melasis buprestoides from Pettypool Brook (SJ625694) on 25 May 2012

Agapanthia villosoviridescens from the Newbridge area of the Vale Royal Cut opposite the salt mine (SJ654684) on 20 June 2012

All were single specimens and vouchers have been retained.

Bill Hardwick
Last edited by Lupercal on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonSten

Re: A few interesting (?) beetles

Post by DonSten »

Hi Bill

Sorry about my slow responses to your emails - lots to do - museum, freelance, studying etc.
I normally watch this space, but there hasn't been much activity for a while.

Anyway, nice finds!

Hylocoetus is not recorded very often in Cheshire - last I know of was one I took in the Weaver Valley woodlands in 2001.
Ditto with the Melasis - very local and seldom recorded.
Agapanthia was quite rare until fairly recently but has expanded its range and there has been a rash of records in Lancs , Cheshire and Yorkshire. I have also had it recently from Shropshire.

Glad you are keeping vouchers Bill - lots of Cheshire records lack concrete evidence and many need to be deleted or sites re-visited to confirm presence.

cheers
Don