Chrysolina americana - Another Cheshire Record

An area for archived forum posts
Lupercal

Chrysolina americana - Another Cheshire Record

Post by Lupercal »

Chrysolina americana - Another Cheshire Record:

Just popped out to clip a sprig of Rosemary to go with my pork roast. On washing it, a beetle fell into the sink whence it was retrieved and confirmed as a specimen of the Rosemary beetle, Chrysolina americana. From previous posts here I gather this is rarely recorded from Cheshire; this one is from Over, Winsford (SJ64036534).

The Rosemary has been established in the garden for at least 15 years, so definitely not a "supermarket import", though this is the first time I've seen this beetle. Checking for more specimens revealed nothing entomological other than a number of "cuckoo spit" balls, which I presume are Homopteran in origin and unrelated to this rather pretty beastie. Voucher retained.

DonSten

Re: Chrysolina americana - Another Cheshire Record

Post by DonSten »

I wouldn't say that it is rarely recorded and the RECORD database probably does not reflect the true distribution. I have just found 7 records, all of which are recent, but there are likely to be many sightings that are not reported (except by gardeners complaining to each other?).

The NBN Gateway show a cluster of approximately 80 records for the North West. I have had reports of it from various parts of Lancashire, such as Liverpool and Bolton and was contacted just a few days ago by a lady in Preston who said her plants were infested with it - she originally contacted me last year about the same beetle.

Incidentally, the first record of this insect was from Disley, Cheshire in 1963.

Despite the specific epithet, it is not from America but the Mediterranean area, where it is typically found in dry scrubby areas, conifer and cork oak forests and bare sandy areas (Cox, 2007).

Although named by Linnaeus, a Swede, it is not found in Scandinavia.

I think it is a stunning beetle and wouldn't mind it in my garden - I'd be willing to let it have a bit of Rosemary!

Cheers,
Don

Lupercal

Re: Chrysolina americana - Another Cheshire Record

Post by Lupercal »

Thanks for putting the record in a more informed perspective.

I concur with your aesthetic opinion of the beetle - my search for further specimens was not to collect more or eradicate them, but to appreciate them as a welcome addition to the garden fauna.

Cheers

Bill