Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni)

An area for archived forum posts
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni):

Hi all,

I was thinking of writing an update to my note on the Alder leaf beetle (Agelastica alni) and would be grateful if anyone with records could send them either to myself or to rECOrd (data@rECOrd-LRC.co.uk) or input them into RODIS on the rECOrd website (http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk).

Cheers

Don
DonSten

Re: Alder leaf beetle

Post by DonSten »

Dear all,

I am still interested in Alder leaf beetle Agelastica alni records and expect it to emerge from hibernation soon. I would be grateful if anyone with records can pass them on to me or send them in to rECOrd / input them through RODIS. If you think you may have seen this beetle or have specimens, I am willing to identify them from a decent photo, or you can send them to me, but please phone: 0161 8653267 first, as I may be away.

In anticipation.

Don

1 Glenmay Court
Derbyshire Lane
Stretford
Manchester M32 8DR
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Don

Good to hear from you mate.

I did record this beetle on a few occasions last year (2008). All the records were put into RODIS and submitted to rECOrd so you will be able to pick them up from the staff in the office at Chester Zoo.

Cheers

Steve :)
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hi Steve

I have your 2006 and 2007 records, in fact I probably have more of yours than anyone elses - just shows how much difference one person can make. I thought I had the latest rECOrd dataset, but obviously not.

I am particularly interested in the earliest record, so would be grateful if you let me know - it should be about soon (ish).

Cheers

Don
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Cheers Don. I'll keep my eye out and let you know as soon as I spot any around.

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Another female Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni) with her abdomen distended with eggs was spotted on Alder (Alnus glutinosa) by the filter-bed at Wigg Island Reserve, Runcorn, Cheshire yesterday (09/06/2009) at Grid Ref. (SJ53368392).

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Good numbers of adults and frequent larvae of the Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastic alni) were found on Common Alders (Alnus glutinosa) at Pitts Heath Lane Pond, Runcorn (SJ56358354) and also a pond at Sandymoor Wood, Runcorn (SJ56378332) on Sunday afternoon (12th July 2009).

Adult Alder Leaf Beetles (Agelastica alni) in cop.
Adult Alder Leaf Beetles (Agelastica alni) in cop.
Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni) larvae feeding communally on an Alder (Alnus glutinosa) leaf.
Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni) larvae feeding communally on an Alder (Alnus glutinosa) leaf.
The life-cycle of the Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni) showing larvae, adults and feeding damage to Alder leaves.
The life-cycle of the Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni) showing larvae, adults and feeding damage to Alder leaves.
SteveMcBill

Re: Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni)

Post by SteveMcBill »

Fancy an Alder Leaf Beetle t-shirt to wear whilst out entomologising or even just walking in the countryside ??? Then check out:

http://foxyurl.com/oSM

Cheers

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Don,

You recently mentioned that you were interested in knowing of any records of Agelastica alni (Alder Leaf Beetle) on Grey Alder, Green Alder and Italian Alder (in fact any Alder species beyond the Common Alder (Alnus glutinosa)).

Just in case you are still interested mate - I was out at Pennington Flash, Leigh, South Lancs this afternoon. In the car-park at (SJ6439899008) there was a Common Alder tree which was covered in Agelastica alni larvae.

I then went for a walk around the site and found Alder and Agelastica larvae all over the site.

In one particular area at (SJ6414599383) there was a row of Grey Alder and on these were 2 adult A.alni and occasional larvae - further round (following this path round the loop) there were further occasional Grey Alders and all showed signs of having been fed upon by A.alni larvae with a few further larvae being visible in ones and twos.

Hope this helps in your investigations mate.

Cheers and take care.

Steve
Steve J. McWilliam
Guitar Tab: http://www.consult-eco.ndirect.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm
ShutterStock Photos: http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=9329
rECOrd: http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Thanks for these records Steve.
Ironically, I have not done much fieldwork this year, so have not seen many A.alni, but it was very busy at Marbury a few weeks ago and curiously enough, some trees had very large numbers of adults and larvae next to others that had not been attacked.
I shall try to get some records of them pre hibernation.

Cheers
Don
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Don,

Quite a few more Agelastica alni records have been deposited with rECOrd through RODIS. I think Clive Washington and Ralph Atherton have also input A.alni records through RODIS too.

Good luck with the autumnal, pre-hibernation recording.

Cheers

Steve
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hello all,

I am still interested in records of this enigmatic beetle. I have seen it recently at several sites, in large numbers, and would be grateful if anyone who sees it could send their records in using RODIS, or e-mail them to me - preferably both.

I am also interested in records of the Green Alder beetle Chrysomela aenea which seems to be more common in the area than formerly.

Cheers
Don
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hello anyone with Alder beetle records!

I am writing up a large piece of work on this beetle now, and would still be grateful for any records.
I have extracted all the RECORD records and have loads from people in the Manchester area, but none from active Cheshire beetlers. It is widespread and present in enormous numbers so is not hard to miss. I am on a mission from next week to map the distribution in more detail.

Most of the RECORD data is Steve Macs - cheers Steve!

Don
anno

Post by anno »

reminds me - must put that record in from last month at Risley Moss...
cheers Don
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Thanks Anno
Don
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hi Don,

I found Alder leaf beetle (Agelastica alni) on Common Alders (Alnus glutinosa) at Marsh Lane (SJ53778298) Astmoor in Runcorn on the 27th April 2010.

I've put the record on RODIS.

Cheers
Paul :)
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Thanks Paul - very much appreciated !!

If you see any more anywhere please do put them in to RODIS - same goes for Lily Beetles (and anything else you can identify) too.

Many thanks

Chraig

Post by Chraig »

At Lindow Moss reserve today there are lots of them on most of the trees around the lake.
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Thanks Chraig

I assume by the lake you mean Ross Mere (SJ821811)?
I haven't had any records of A.alni from up that way since my own in June and Sept 2006 and none from the Mere. Had a couple of records recently from Lindow Common. I found it the other day at two sites where it has been recorded previously - Marbury Country Park and Green Hill, Flixton (Lancs).
All the Cheshire records gathered will go into the RECORD database at the end of 2010.

Cheers
Don
Chraig

Post by Chraig »

Lindow moss/Common? I thought they were same place?! Anyhoo, I meant by Black Lake (SJ83398114) and I put it into RODIS earlier. Saw a green leaf beetle and 2 weevils too but as I don't know much about them and I did not take my camera I did not record them :oops: