Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni)

An area for archived forum posts
DonSten

Re: Alder leaf beetle

Post by DonSten »

No Chraig they are definitely different places - near each other though.

Cheers
Don
anno

Post by anno »

Donno - its Anno, lots of Alder Leaf Beetle larvae at 5AM (on Alder surprisingly enough) on my Bird Ringing event at Oxmoor,Runcorn at the Chancellor Road end of the Woodland.

Will put it on Rodis.
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Goodo Anno!
I've got a lovely distribution map now with lots of dots for Lancs and Cheshire, with a couple for Staffs.
Cheers
Don
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Don,

I am very much looking forward to seeing that distribution map. Currently, the map of data held on the rECOrd database looks like the image below (this does not show any July 2010 data as yet).

Cheers

Steve

A map of Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni) records held on the rECOrd database as at the end of June 2010.
A map of Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni) records held on the rECOrd database as at the end of June 2010.
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

You will Steve - I shall post it here soon.

Cheers

Don
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Don,

I normally think of Agelastica alni as being a 'Summer' beetle but yesterday I was over in Warrington at Bewsey Farm Close (just outside the Woodland Trust site - Bewsey Farm Wood) (GR: - SJ58888948) and on the corner of the road found an Alder (Alnus glutinosa) in the hedge. Many of the leaves showed 'shot-gun' holes and on checking I found 10 adult Alder Leaf Beetles (Agelastica alni) - a pleasant surprise for me.

Do you tend to find the adults this late in the season ??

Cheers

Steve
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hi Steve

The adults that you saw will be this years brood and probably emerged in August. They will feed up until it gets too cool (which will be any day now I reckon!) and go into hibernation. Most adults seen in the earlier months are from last year.

So, yes it is normal, but will depend very much on the weather.

Cheers
Don
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Alder leaf beetle:

I am writing something about the Alder leaf beetle (Agelastica alni) and would like some input about something not mentioned much. Have people seen this beetle flying much ? I haven't personally, although one landed on me last year. I have been on sites absolutely plastered with them, in hot weather, and not seen a single one flying.

So, I would be grateful for any replies on this.

Cheers
Don
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Don,

Not seen any in 'full' flight mate - though it would seem that they must fly to colonise the distances they have in this area over the last few years - perhaps they fly at night ??

The only evidence I have seen has bee a couple of a hot day in 2009 which were lifting off Alder leaves and flying to other Alder leaves on the same bush - hardly even medium distances never mind long distances - distances covered ranged from a couple of inches to possibly a foot at most.

Cheers.

Steve
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hi Steve,

Apparently they are supposed to be weak fliers, and I have noticed that sites with lots of trees close together tend to be heavily infested, but those at distance are not touched, which suggests that they don't fly much.

You would think that given how numerous they can be, you would be surrounded by an Alder beetle blizzard. Lots of other beetles fly at the slightest excuse in warm weather.

I ask because someone told me that they have seen Alder beetles on trees at least 1km from the next tree - may have to investigate this with a perusal of the area ?

Thanks for the input anyway.

Cheers
Don
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Don,

If they truly are such poor fliers then what is the explanation behind their very rapid spread/colonisation in the North West (even if it is just Cheshire) ?? Any ideas ??

Cheers mate.

Steve
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Well, when you think about it, the spread is not very rapid really. The Harlequin Ladybird came into the UK in 2004 and within a couple of years had been recorded from Northern Scotland. The Alder beetle came in the same year or probably the year before and is moving into other VCs now - six or more years later.

Cheers
Don
anno

Post by anno »

Alder leaf beetle:

"I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked its eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see an Alder Beetle fly." :)

Nope - never; often wondered about it though - are all translocation forays nocturnal? I shall keep a wary eye out this year...

Anno
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

That is a very interesting way of putting the issue Anno, and I shall nick that ditty for future use, if I may ?

I don't think A.alni flies at night. I don't know of anyone getting one in a moth trap, and if they are reluctant to fly in hot weather, cold nights wouldn't entice them.

Let me know if you see one flying at night - I'm counting on you to solve this mystery ;)

Got a meeting now so have to go.

Cheers
Don
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Alder leaf beetle:

Hi all,

Just in case anyone is interested - here is the distribution map for Agelastica alni up to Autumn 2010.
The records are from numerous people and some of the dots represent more than one record i.e. Agelastica may have been reported from the same site over several years. I would like to especially thank Ralph Atherton, Clive Washington, Steve McWilliam & Prof Roger Dennis for significant additions to the data.

Cheers
Don

Attachments
A.alni 2004-2010 distribution
A.alni 2004-2010 distribution
SteveMcBill

Re: Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni)

Post by SteveMcBill »

Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni):

Today, Friday 1st July 2011, I found 3 adult Agelastica alni (at least one of which was a gravid female) on Italian Alder (Alnus cordata) in a car-park at the end of Lander Close, Warrington - (SJ58788942). They appeared to be eating the leaves - holes were around them.

This is the first time I have noticed Alder Leaf Beetles on this species of Alder.

Steve

Lupercal

Post by Lupercal »

Hi Don,

I've only just returned to active entomology since a health break from the end of 2006 and prior to that had not worked the Coleoptera for some years. Imagine my surprise then when out hunting flies, I noticed a number of an unfamiliar leaf beetle on Alder, Hazel, Sallow and Birch at Vale Royal Parkway, Winsford (SJ655667, 9 May 1012) that keyed out readily as Agelastica alni.

My surprise grew to near incredulity when I visited Newchurch Common (SJ603688, 13 May 2012) and discovered almost every young Alder heavily infested with the beetle. Checking on the draft Aidgap key I noted that it had been found in Cheshire since your 2004 Manchester area record, but did not expect such a population explosion from presumed extinction to this in such a short space of time.

I also found a number of specimens on Alder and a few on Birch, all young trees, at Little Budworth Common (SJ584657) on 14 May 2012 in an area bordering wet heath.

Steve McWilliam informed me that it had now become quite common in north Cheshire and has been found in South Lancs., and pointed me to this discussion topic for info. Anyway, for what they may add to your data, those are my records to date. I shall post them (and any subsequent finds) on RODIS in due course.

Cheers,

Bill Hardwick

DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Hello Bill,

It is some time since I saw anything sugesting you were actively 'entomologising' so it is nice to see you back!
I remember you telling me, a few years ago admittedly, that you favoured flies more now, so this is a double surprise.

This area is the stronghold for Agelastica but it is slowly spreading into adjacent vice counties and has been recorded down south. Since finding it in 2004 I have published quite a few notes about this distinctive beetle and if you send your email address to donsten@btinternet.com I will email you a copy of a paper I published a few months ago which sums up the history of A.alni in the British Isles.

Thanks for the data Bill and hopefully I shall bump into you in the near future!

Cheers,
Don

anno

Post by anno »

Hi Don,

I think the following photo may confirm breeding of Agelastica alni at Sunnybank Widnes! :shock:

I think she may be ready to lay?
DonSten

Post by DonSten »

Anno,

I would say so - the yellow abdomen gives it away - it's the colour of the eggs showing through.
She will lay about 80-90 eggs in one batch.

Cheers,
Don