Sycophila biguttata - Chalcid Wasp Parasitoids

An area for archived forum posts
SteveMcBill

Sycophila biguttata - Chalcid Wasp Parasitoids

Post by SteveMcBill »

Sycophila biguttata - Chalcid Wasp Parasitoids on Aphelonyx cerricola:

I collected some Aphelonyx cerricola galls from Turkey Oaks (Quercus cerris) in Sefton Park, Merseyside on the 5th April 2018 with the intention of breeding out some of the Aphelonyx wasps to send off to the NHM. I did wonder if I had missed them as a good number of the galls already had emergence holes, however, I persisted and put the galls into plastic boxes. On the 16th April wasps began to emerge and on the 25th April I placed a number of them into alcohol (IMS).

On checking the wasps under the microscope they were mainly black with black clouding across their forewings, creamy markings on their frons and legs, and bright orange eyes. Looking for images on the Net for Aphelonyx produced nothing but I did find a description which indicated that they had 'black' eyes. Clearly my emergences were not the Aphelonyx wasps I had been expecting.

Talking to the NHM I obtained a key and the wasps have keyed out as Sycophila biguttata a parasitoid of Aphelonyx larvae amongst other Oak Gall causers. Currently there are no records of this species on either the BioBank or RECORD databases and only two records on the NBN Atlas (neither of which are close to Cheshire or Merseyside). Looks like rearing galls out could provide new species records for anyone who wishes to give it a try. Good luck !!!!

Now all I have to do is key out the other 3 or 4 species which emerged from the Turkey Oak galls (I think one may be a Torymus).

Steve

Attachments
Sycophila biguttata wasps from galls of Aphelonyx cerricola on Turkey Oaks at Sefton Park, Merseyside - 2018
Sycophila biguttata wasps from galls of Aphelonyx cerricola on Turkey Oaks at Sefton Park, Merseyside - 2018
anno

Re: Sycophila biguttata - Chalcid Wasp Parasitoids

Post by anno »

Hi Steve,

Just wondering would it be useful to knock up a quick 'how to do' note on this ?

Come across many galls and usually take time to ident, but I'm sure many folk wouldn't know where to start with hatching out.

Anno.

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Nothing much to it to be honest Anno. Collect a few galls and place them in a largish plastic box (the ones I use are 22.5cm x 11.7cm x 8.5cm and completely transparent) on folded white kitchen towel. only put enough galls in to half fill the base of the box; this is to keep any moisture level low (the towel helps too with this) to help prevent mould forming. Leave them in the garage, or in a shed, to keep the boxes close to outside ambient temperature as possible.

Check the box(es) every couple of weeks and if nothing has emerged after 18 months then dispose of the galls back into the wild; preferably to the same site they were removed from in the first place.

A key to Oak Galls and their Inhabitants (Causers, Inquilines and Parasites) can be found here: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... ZN1id9zuoO

A key to adult insects which may emerge from Rose Bedeguar galls can be found here: http://www.britishplantgallsociety.org/ ... r-keys.pdf

Good luck !!

Steve

anno

Post by anno »

Cheers Steve, should have asked on our regular meet up!

Some good pointers there, I have tried unsuccessfully a couple of times...