Brown Hare for Sale

An area for archived forum posts
Tom

Brown Hare for Sale

Post by Tom »

Brown Hare for Sale:

It has been brought to our attention that Lidl are now selling Brown Hare leg portions. This product is shipped in from Argentina. It has become a controversial topic and I have been asked to alert mammalogists. There isn't that much about the item on the Internet, but I have found this forum string on Jamie Oliver's website.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29369

Tom

Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
bankst

Re: Brown Hare for Sale

Post by bankst »

Just got back from Argentina, where we saw quite a few Brown Hares, probably more than I would expect to see whilst driving around the British countryside. They are clearly not endangered as a species in South America and presumably were introduced relatively recently by European settlers, so we may actually be doing the native flora and fauna a favour by repatriating and eating the little blighters.

We were really hoping to see Patagonian Hares or 'Maras', but apart from this one in Buenos Aires Zoo, we drew a blank. Just imagine how many you could feed on Christmas Day with one of those on the table!

Viejo Tom.

Attachments
Patagonian Hare (Dolichotis patagonum)<br />Also known as the Patagonian Cavy or Mara.
Patagonian Hare (Dolichotis patagonum)
Also known as the Patagonian Cavy or Mara.
Aldowin

Re: Brown Hare for Sale

Post by Aldowin »

We drew a blank. Just imagine how many you could feed on Christmas Day with one of those on the table !