Goldfinches and Sunflower Seeds

An area for archived forum posts
SteveMcBill

Goldfinches and Sunflower Seeds

Post by SteveMcBill »

Since putting feeders in the garden, with hulled sunflower hearts in, this Summer the number of visiting Goldfinches (Carduelis carduelis) has slowly built up to 15 this morning.

Steve :)
hughpulsford

Re: Goldfinches and Sunflower Seeds

Post by hughpulsford »

Yes I have found this too, infact they have avoided the niger seed feeders and seem to prefer the dehusked sunflower seed ones. I am not sure if this is a summer phenomena, and they will return to their much loved Niger seeds in the colder months, I guess we will wait and see. I have also noticed that their feeding strategy seems different, whilst they would sit at a niger seed feeder and eat their way through lots, with the sunflower hearts, they take one and fly to cover to eat it rather than lingering on the feeder. This maybe down to my feeder designs, but it was interesting to note.
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

I have had a similar situation in my garden, a full niger seed feeder all summer!! I am not sure why I am not getting them, neither is next door come to that. I know we have a good number in the area as I hear them every time I am out in the garden (usually in one of the two large ash trees in the area), but I don't think I have ever seen them at the feeder!

I wondered whether it was the location at first, but the other feeders in the same area seem fine, in fact they are really well visited. I then wondered whether it is the design of the feeder (single perch bar as opposed to a ring), but the seed does go down, however slowly, so something is visiting it; just very infrequently.

Not much help, but at least I know it isn't just me :D

Eric
ROBERTWYNNE

Post by ROBERTWYNNE »

FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS WE HAVE GROWN SUNFLOWERS FOR BIRDS THE SEEDS ARE REMOVED FROM THE RIPE HEADS BY TOM TITS GREAT TITS AND NUTHATCHES THE TITS OPEN THEM WITH EASE WE HAVE NOT SEEN FINCHES TAKE THEM AS YET (BUT REMEMBER THE SILVER FOIL MILK BOTTLE TOPS) IT JUST MAY HAVE NOT GOT HERE SISKINS ARRIVED 3 DAYS AGO (SARN MALPAS) BOB WYNNE
SusanMcM

Post by SusanMcM »

I started using the hulled sunflower seeds here (Liverpool) about three years ago and noticed a significant rise in the numbers of Goldfinches. The greatest number of Goldfinches this winter has been 24 at any one time. I have a variety of seed feeders and have changed their positions over the years. I have noticed that the Goldfinches prefer the aluminium ones with the straight perches as oppose to the green metal/plastic ones. ;)
Ian_Daniells

Post by Ian_Daniells »

This year my Goldfinches have gone back to the traditional Niger Seed, have 4 family groups at present going through a kilo a fortnight.