Hedya ochroleucana?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Tim_Ward

Hedya ochroleucana?

Post by Tim_Ward »

This Tortrix was in my Macclesfield garden trap on Thursday night. I always struggle with separating Marbled Orchard, Plum and other similar Tortrix species. This one looks slightly different and I wonder if it might be Hedya ochroleucana? As always, help much appreciated, Tim
Attachments
Tortrix 1.6 (2).JPG
Tortrix 1.3 (2).JPG
GasMacc1

Re: Hedya ochroleucana?

Post by GasMacc1 »

"Bird-dropping Tortrix Moths of the British Isles" (Clifton and Wheeler), on Hedya ochroleucana:

"The sandy-ochreous cream colouration and a lack of any greyish tones in the outer (distal) part of the forewing is diagnostic and should rule out other similar species". They also warn that photos can "wash out" those tones. Your moth is noticeably lacking in the greyish patches which are often seen in the Plum Tortrix.

The Sterling and Parsons field guide also points to "two small, pale indentations in the outer margin of the dark basal patch". I think your moth shows this feature, especially in the second photo.

So - I can see the argument for Hedya ochroleucana. Does anyone have any doubts?
stevehind

Re: Hedya ochroleucana?

Post by stevehind »

I would agree with Hedya ochroleucana
Regards
Steve