Low Numbers but ‘Another Good Night’

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Low Numbers but ‘Another Good Night’

Post by melbellingham »

The last few nights have produced fewer species and numbers, with only Common Rustic aggs and Agriphila straminella appearing in numbers.

Last night (06/08/2022 – min temp 12.5 C) was looking the same as previous nights with only 17 species and 45 moths, with the two above species providing 22 of the total.

That was until I found a male Drinker at the bottom of the trap. Not recorded since 2016 and only a total of 9 previous records since 2003, it was obviously very welcome, but it got much better.

Probably attracted to my MV lamp last night, but only found hours later was a male Black Arches (NFG).

It wasn’t on the wall this morning, where I eventually found it, but this morning I had been cutting back some of the foliage on my wildflower patch (which has grown very wild this year) so I might have disturbed it from there.
Black Arches
Black Arches
Mel.
Greg

Re: Low Numbers but ‘Another Good Night’

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel,

I found a Black Arches on my trap this morning. First for my garden also.
The only other one I've caught in Cheshire was in Delamere a number of years ago.

Greg.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Hi Mel

Back Rustic

The species must be spreading rapidly northwards. I first trapped it in the garden in 2019, then another in 2020, 2 in 2021 & seven (all singles) from 22nd July to 4th August.
My numbers & variety have been limited recently
I just don't see so many of the species you find in your garden & am still awaiting Vine's Rustic!

Regards, Mike
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update on Black Arches. It does seem that the species could be spreading. My first Cheshire sighting was in Delamere Forest, like Greg, but I seem to remember a record mentioned on the forum, from the Wirral a couple or so years ago.

I have had eight new macro’s this year, compared with 2 in 2020 and one in 2021, so is it just possible that other species could also be spreading?

Vine’s Rustic here this year are 10 records of 11 moths during May and June, with recent August records of 1 on the 6th, 4 on the 8th and 1 last night (9th). The species does seem established here now, so hopefully you will start to see them soon.

With regards to the species I get that you don’t, well I feel just the same when I see some of the records that you and other recorders catch. It must be down to types of habitat.

Cheers,
Mel.
Last edited by melbellingham on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Hi Mel
Apologies it should read Black Arches!!
Regards, Mike
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Thanks Mike,

Another error due to advancing years.

Mel.