Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010 Thru 2011

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveMcBill

Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010 Thru 2011

Post by SteveMcBill »

Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010 Thru 2011:

The serpentine to blotch mines of the tiny Nepticulid moth Ectoedemia septembrella were found today on the leaves of Tall Tutsan (Hypericum inodorum).

These were at Millcroft Road, Woolton, Merseyside and the Tall Tutsan plants were growing in a shady position. There were about 20 to 30 mines in total over 3 plants. This seems to be the first record of this species on the rECOrd database.

Ectoedemia septembrella is a tiny moth, having a wingspan of only around 6mm, with quite a coarsely-scaled appearance. It is fairly common in England and Wales, the species has two generations, on the wing in May and June, and again in August. The larvae feed in a mine in a leaf of St. John's-wort (Hypericum), at first in a narrow gallery, later becoming a blotch mine.

Steve :)

Ectoedemia septembrella leaf-mine.
The attachment Tall Tutsan 1.jpg is no longer available
Tall Tutsan (Hypericum inodorum)
stevehind

Re: Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010

Post by stevehind »

These mines can still be found on Hypericum bushes, including those at Chester Zoo and were most noticeable today on a bush by the main entrance.

Regards
Steve

SteveMcBill

Re: Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010

Post by SteveMcBill »

Ectoedemia septembrella mines are once again observable on the leaves of Tall Tutsan at Millcroft Road, Woolton, Liverpool - 06/08/2011.

Steve

SteveMcBill

Re: Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010 & 2011

Post by SteveMcBill »

Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010 & 2011:

Lots more E.septembrella mines on the leaves of Tall Tutsan (Hypericum inodorum) down a shady side path to a house in Millcroft Road, Woolton, Merseyside at the moment (10/11/2011). See photo of the mines below which are obviously much further developed than the ones previously shown on the photos provided on this thread:

Steve

Attachments
Ectoedemia septembrella mines on<br />Tall Tutsan (Hypericum inodorum) <br />leaves in Woolton, Merseyside
Ectoedemia septembrella mines on
leaves in Woolton, Merseyside
SteveH

Re: Ectoedemia septembrella Mines - July 2010 Thru 2011

Post by SteveH »

I recorded and submitted information regarding E.septembrella mines in SJ4475 in 2004 and SJ4574 in 2005 (and found them again here this year).

Steve