Moth ID help

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
ourbirds

Moth ID help

Post by ourbirds »

Hi there,

My Father-in-Law has just emailed me a photo of a moth he found in York. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles

moth.jpg
[/color]
SteveMcBill

Re: Moth ID help

Post by SteveMcBill »

Dear Charles,

I'm afraid the insect in your father-in-law's photograph is not a moth (Lepidoptera) but is a Caddis-fly (Trichoptera). Moths have 'scales' on their wings whereas Caddis have 'hairs' on their wings.

Sadly, I cannot identify the insect to specific level. We do however have the National Caddis-fly Recorder in our area - Dr Ian Wallace at the Entomology Section of the World Museum, Liverpool (Liverpool Museum to us older naturalists). He may be able to provide an identification if you take the photograph in to the Museum or if you send it to him at: ian.wallace@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

Hope that helps.

Steve
Trichoptera

Post by Trichoptera »

I agree with Steve that this is a caddis and it is one of two species. I need to be able to enlarge parts of the photo to tell you which one. Can you send it to me at ian.wallace@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk up to 2 meg pictures ok and I will see what I can do.
ourbirds

Post by ourbirds »

Thank you both,

I'm sure I have a bigger picture, so I'll email it over!

Kindest regards

Charles