Phyllonorycter blancardella ?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

As well as Oak leaves we collected up Crab Apple leaves and they have been kept in the garage. 5 micros emerged yesterday, obviously very early for the species. Some photos below. Are theses Phyllonorycter blancardella or would they need dissecting ?

Bob & Helen

Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 4
Photo 5
Photo 5
stevehind

Re: Phyllonorycter blancardella ?

Post by stevehind »

I would agree that these are Phyllonorycter blancardella but reading the new guidelines, it looks as if you need to rear the apple feeding Phyllonorycters and then dissect the adults. I don't agree that these always need dissecting and this is one of a number of issues I believe need to be ironed out in the next few years.

Regards,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I followed up on this issue and am able to clarify the situation; the guidelines are deliberately on the cautious side and bred adults of these two can be separated but only by experienced recorders, so this record is acceptable.

Regards,
Steve

bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Later identification suggested the moths needed dissection for a positive identification. Over this winter we have tried to breed trough some more moths, the crab apple trees in our garden produce numerous leaf mines each year. So far we have three adults emerging so we have posted their photos below to complete the picture for this moth in our area. We have samples for dissection if that is still thought necessary.
Hope this will confirm phyllonorycter blancardella Bob & Helen
Attachments
19th February 2021
19th February 2021
19th February 2021
19th February 2021
18th March 2021
18th March 2021
27th March 2021
27th March 2021
27th March 2021
27th March 2021
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen
You could have both species on your garden crab apple.
Not certain about the two on 18th & 27th March, so save those for me to check if like but the other three are Phyllonorycter blancardella.
Regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

A bit late in recording. Steve Hind generously dissection some moth for us.
He has confirmed Phylloblancardella, 2 males from 3rd Jan and 6th March and a female that emerged 19th Feb.
At the same time he identified two male Caloptilia robustella and a male Agonopterix propinquella.
Without Steve's help knowledge of the moths that frequent our area would be much depleted. Thanks again Steve.
Bob & Helen