Anyone used new LED portable skinner trap?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
leanna_dixon

Anyone used new LED portable skinner trap?

Post by leanna_dixon »

Has anyone used the new compact LED skinner trap - seen here an anglep https://www.angleps.com/mothtraps_battery.php#1 if so, would you recommend?

Thanks, Leanna.
JulianB

Re: Anyone used new LED portable skinner trap?

Post by JulianB »

Hi Leanna,

We purchased a White Compact LED Heath Trap from ALS a few weeks ago - since then the weather has been unkind, and a detailed comparison between our existing Robinson blacklight and the LED has been difficult. I can crunch the exact numbers (total moths/total species) tonight, but it looks promising.

We bought the LED trap with the new light weight battery to allow trapping at a wider range of sites. Since then, the rain guard has been removed from sale with the Heath trap. Given the showery weather, the rain guard has been useful, although the LEDs themselves are apparently waterproof.

There are graphs provided for catch rates on the ALS site, which are worth a look.

Regards, Julian
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

OK, here's our early comparison of the Robinson blacklight (which is good, but considered to pull slightly fewer moths overall cf a MV Robinson) against the new compact LED Heath. This is based on 9 trapping nights over the last 3 weeks. The two traps were alternated between the front and gable end of the house, with both traps running simultaneously.

The LED seems to work nicely, attracting a range of species in reasonable numbers (see attachment). We've also learnt that the front of the house attracts twice as many moths as the gable end - this may have flattered the Heath trap somewhat, as by chance the Heath was at the front on two of the better nights. The traps may also have interfered with one another to a degree.

The LEDs aren't obtrusively visible. Wrt portability, the battery is very light. We protected it from rain inside a sandwich box.

Regards, Julian
Attachments
Comparison.png
Comparison.png (14.34 KiB) Viewed 10940 times
BetteHoward

Post by BetteHoward »

It's sound like great! i am using it but not attached LED in portable skinner trap also it's old one buy from my friend for garden last year but currently i am looking for new LED portable skinner trap but waiting for coming Black Friday sale 2020, i saw some good sale on it.
wanna007

Post by wanna007 »

The new LED light last night [early June] I was happy with the results