Blackneck (Lygephila pastinum)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
anno

Blackneck (Lygephila pastinum)

Post by anno »

Blackneck (Lygephila pastinum):

News from Paul Whorton - from Pickerings Pasture this weekend: Blackneck (Lygephila pastinum).
In Britain, this moth has only one generation, flying in June and July, but it is double-brooded on the continent.

Occupying woodland and marshy areas, it is locally common in the southern half of Britain, with only scattered occurrences further north.

The species overwinters as a larva, which feeds mainly on Tufted Vetch (Vicia cracca).

Well worth a visit for those mothy people amongst us ;)

PaulMartinHill

Re: Blackneck (Lygephila pastinum)

Post by PaulMartinHill »

We had one of these at Marbury last week

Paul
RayBertera

Post by RayBertera »

I also trapped a Blackneck (Lygephila pastinum), a first for my Frodsham garden, on July 10th, 2011.

Amazingly this was my 6th new macro this year - about the same number I added in the previous 10 years.

Ray

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Another Blackneck (Lygephila pastinum) in the trap at Marbury this morning, along with a Silky Wainscot (Chilodes maritimus) and the Pyralid Phlyctaenia perlucidalis.

Paul.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

We too have had Blackneck again this year (after the first three for the garden last year) - on 27th June 2011.

Its also been a good year for new species for us too, with six thus far:- Monopis obviella, Cochylis nana, Acleris notana, Epinotia tenerana, Chocolate-tip (Clostera curtula) and Triple-spotted Clay (Xestia ditrapezium). The most surprising moth however is The Fan-foot (Zanclognatha tarsipennalis), which we have recorded in numbers exceeding the previous 20 year totals combined! On more than one occasion its been the commonest moth in the trap, with a peak of 44.

Steve