Satin Beauty (Deileptenia ribeata)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Satin Beauty (Deileptenia ribeata)

Post by stevehind »

Satin Beauty (Deileptenia ribeata):

Caught a Satin Beauty (Deileptenia ribeata) in the garden trap at Higher Poynton last night, 21st July 2011. This is a species which is rarely reported and dark, poorly marked specimens like this one can easily be missed. This is the sixth record for the garden; I tend to get one every few years, so I've also attached the last one from 2008 which was more clearly marked.

Steve

Attachments
Satin Beauty at Higher Poynton 2011
Satin Beauty at Higher Poynton 2011
Satin Beauty at Higher Poynton 2008
Satin Beauty at Higher Poynton 2008
PaulMartinHill

Re: Satin Beauty

Post by PaulMartinHill »

You seem to be having a good run lately Steve - I had another Dark Swordgrass (Agrotis ipsilon) last night at Marbury.

Paul

stevehind

Re: Satin Beauty Deileptenia ribeata)

Post by stevehind »

The run came to a end last night. A heavy shower followed by clear skies dropped the temperature to 4 degrees and a total of only six moths in the trap this morning !!

Steve

SteveH

Re: Satin Beauty (Deileptenia ribeata)

Post by SteveH »

Satin Beauty (Deileptenia ribeata) would be new for our Elton garden and I'm fairly certain we've not overlooked it for something else..... we get so few of the 'confusion species' we tend to look closely at them all.

New species for the year (2011) have practically dried up over the last week, though we have still been getting about 100 moths of up to 35 species...which is still pretty awful for late July. Tinea trinotella was the last addition.

Steve