Pugs and case bearer.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

Pugs and case bearer.

Post by bobhelencoan »

Day time find of a nice Esperia sulphurella.
11 moths of 7 species last night. Nice scalloped hazel and three different pugs. One we think is a golden-rod pug which in light of Greg's note to our last post makes us wonder about the white spotted pug. Pug book and web sites don't seem to have helped. Some other eyes on the images would be appreciated.
Also an Ochreous pug.
Our case bearer is now feeding well on blackthorn leaves and the case has darkened following Steves coment we now think it is Coleophora prunifoliae and what we thought was a flower petal for the case was in fact a cut out from the area where it had been feeding. Online suggests case is pale at first then darkens as this one has shown. We hope to breed it through.
Bob & Helen
Attachments
Esperia sulphurella
Esperia sulphurella
Golden-rod pug?  from last night
Golden-rod pug? from last night
white spotted or golden-rod pug from last post
white spotted or golden-rod pug from last post
Ochreous pug
Ochreous pug
Case bearer on blackthorn leaf
Case bearer on blackthorn leaf
bobhelencoan

Re: Pugs and case bearer.

Post by bobhelencoan »

Would appreciate any help to confirm these moths for recording purposes. Thanks Bob & Helen
stevehind

Re: Pugs and case bearer.

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen
Esperia sulphurella & Ochreous pug are correct
I can't see any white on the abdomen of your other pug, which would make it Golden-rod Pug.
I would need to dissect the adult Coleophora if you managed to rear it. I've never managed to convince myself that I have Coleophora prunifoliae as the differences are slight but I'll have another try for you if you want to send it over.
Regards
Steve