Coleophora

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

Coleophora

Post by bobhelencoan »

Adult moth hatched for the case found on the upper surface of a sessile oak leaf. Can the moth be identified as Coleophora lutipennella or would it stll nedd to be dissected?
Thanks Bob & Helen
Attachments
adult coleophora moth
adult coleophora moth
adult moth and case on oak
adult moth and case on oak
stevehind

Re: Coleophora

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen

How have you managed to eliminate Coleophora flavipennella, only I am not aware of any way of separating the two from either the final larval case, or adult moth without dissecting it ?

Regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

We have not given a positive ID. Some books we have read suggest the case and moth can be identified together. If this is not the case then we will record it a lutipenella or flavipenella. Bob & Helen
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Do your other books mention which features can be used to separate these two if you have the adult and the case ? You can ID the smaller over-wintering cases but I am not aware of any feature which distinguishes the final cases.
Regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks Steve. Whatever I saw mentions something about the top of the case being significant. Could be it was the early case but it was not made clear. I still have the moth. Helen
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Dissection identified the moth as Coleophora lutipennella. Thanks Steve.