Help please

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
pfa47

Help please

Post by pfa47 »

I can't pin this down specifically, it's very small.

Pete Atherton.

Attachments
002 (3).JPG
PaulMartinHill

Re: Help please

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Try Argyresthia goedartella - http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=411. Have you got Chris Manley's "Photographic Guide to Butterflies and Moths". This has a lot of the commoner, easier to ID Micros in it.

Paul

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'd agree with Paul about Manleys' book, as it not only has some micros (that helped me nail down Epinotia nisella f. pavonana from our garden a week or two back) but also has some numbers of larvae too, which could be equally useful.

Just back from a week on Brownsea Island, which nestles in splendid isolation in Poole Harbour (180+ species) and the only things of note in the garden trap this morning were Dark Spinach, Satellite and Trachycera advenella.

Steve

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Brownsea Island - brings back memories for me, I spent around five years working as a volunteer there in all my holidays in the late seventies and early eighties. Great place, especially after closing time, when you could leave traps out overnight without fear of them been vandalised.

Paul

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

191 species of moth and counting and of additional interest, 49 species of hoverfly too.

Brownsea is also good before opening time too... Red Squirrels, Sika Deer and birds on the lagoon all waking up, with only those lucky enough to be staying on the island able to share the moments - magic place.

Steve

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

I also remember it was good for dragonflies as well, I wasn't into mothing or hoverflies then though, mainly birding.

Paul.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

It was good for dragonflies too Paul - and though we're getting off the local moth forum tack here, worth saying (for anyone intending a visit there) that there are very healthy populations of Small Red Damselfly, Ruddy Darter and Downy Emerald on the Island. From memory we recorded 14 species - I haven't finished transcribing my notebooks onto the computer yet so can't be absolutely certain!

Steve