Trapping at Jacksons Brickworks this Saturday

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Trapping at Jacksons Brickworks this Saturday

Post by stevehind »

Trapping at Jacksons Brickworks this Saturday - 6th August 2011:

A trapping session has been arranged for this Saturday night 6th August, at Jacksons Brickworks, Higher Poynton SJ9484. Both the car-park, which is normally locked at night and the reserve proper will be open for transporting generators and traps. The warden will be supplying a generator, from which I will be running a light over a sheet. If anyone else would be interested in bringing their generators and traps along, they would have the opportunity to gain access to a number of areas on the reserve.

The site is an abandoned brickworks which has developed a rich flora over the past thirty years. It joins the woodland at Middlewood and we hope to be able to add to the list of 482 species of Lepidoptera which have already been recorded there.

Directions to the site are as follows: From the traffic lights, in the centre of Poynton, travel east along Park Lane. After one mile, turn left onto Middlewood Road; continue for another mile until you see the sign for Jacksons Brickworks, then turn right into Pool House Road, cross Middlewood Way and the car-park is straight ahead past Melrose Crescent at: SJ947844.

The warden is expecting us around 9.15pm.

Hope to see you there.

Steve Hind

Attachments
Jacksons Brickworks
Jacksons Brickworks
PaulMartinHill

Re: Trapping at Jacksons Brickworks this Saturday

Post by PaulMartinHill »

I'll try and be along Steve.

PS Two Dark Swordgrass at Marbury this morning.

Paul

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Trapping at Jacksons Brickworks this Saturday - 06/08/2011:

About 20 members of the public, and 30 species of moth, attended the event last night. With it being such an early season this year, many of the attractive summer species have finished flying and we are now in the mid-August lull before the autumnal species appear, so I was pleased that we managed to attract a few attractive moths for the crowd to admire, such as Large Emerald and Brimstone.

Regards,

Steve

PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

The trap at Marbury was poor this morning with about 20 species and less than 150 moths.

Paul

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Brought home a worn pug for a closer look at. I was hoping it would be a Golden-rod Pug which would be new for the site, as I get them regularly in the garden, which is not that far away. However, it turned out to be a Triple-spotted Pug (Eupithecia trisignaria) which is the first for this part of Cheshire.

Steve