Not lazy; just overrun!

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
swampthing

Not lazy; just overrun!

Post by swampthing »

Hi,

Honest. I looked through all 500-odd photos on Norfolk micros site, and could not say that I matched my photo with any of them. Please can you give me a name of this couple which I caught in the long grass at the edge of Greater Manchester on Wednesday (got to be common, I'm sure). As I photograph almost all insects that I think might be identifiable, I have quite a backlog at the moment, so would appreciate help on this.

Cheers,
Andy B
Attachments
P1030756 (2).JPG
stevehind

Re: Not lazy; just overrun!

Post by stevehind »

Hi Andy

Most likely a pair of Hedya nubiferana

Regards
Steve
swampthing

Post by swampthing »

As usual Steve, thanks for your time and interest. I've had a chance to look at the micros guide since I posted this, and was expecting you to say that it was an apotomis species due to the hook shape in the white border. As I was up near moorland, including bilberry, is there any chance it could be a. sauciana. I don't want to appear argumentative; I'm just picking your brains really.

Cheers,
Andy B.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hadn't notice the bilberry in the background.
Yes these will be Apotomis sauciana, which can be fairly common on the bilberry moors
Regards
Steve
swampthing

Post by swampthing »

Cheers Steve. As you've said before, noting what species of plants are nearby can be a key factor in obtaining an i.d.
On another matter, I have to say that it does not help anyone trying to make a positive i.d. using the guide 'Micro Moths of Great Britain and Ireland', when they don't even mention that the female looks quite different to the male! :roll: