Leaf mines for ID help

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
PaulHopkins

Leaf mines for ID help

Post by PaulHopkins »

I'm trying to get more into leaf mines this year, it's tough going! Reminds me of my first year of mothing, where I ignored the micro moths because they seemed too challenging - now I love them, I hope I get to love the mines too before long.

Here are a couple from Dibbinsdale LNR, Bromborough this evening. The first is on Blackthorn, I think it's pretty clearly Stigmella plagicolella, happy to be corrected though.
Stigmella plagicolella
Stigmella plagicolella
Stigmella plagicolella - egg underside
Stigmella plagicolella - egg underside
The second two, on Beech, I reckon are probably Stigmella hemargyrella. My only concern though is that the egg appears to be on the underside of the leaf, which goes against what it says on http://www.ukflymines.co.uk/Moths/Stigm ... yrella.php: "Oviposition generally at the upperside of the leaf".
Stigmella hemargyrella #1
Stigmella hemargyrella #1
Stigmella_hemargyrella #1 - egg underside
Stigmella_hemargyrella #1 - egg underside
Stigmella_hemargyrella #2
Stigmella_hemargyrella #2
Stigmella_hemargyrella #2 - egg underside
Stigmella_hemargyrella #2 - egg underside
I've got loads more to go through, I'll post again soon with more questions.

Cheers
Paul
stevehind

Re: Leaf mines for ID help

Post by stevehind »

Hi Paul
Stigmella plagicolella is correct and I'm sure you are right with Stigmella hemargyrella, based upon the position of the egg on the leaf being well away from the midrib and the mine crossing the vein on your second example. I always like to see the coiled frass near the start of the mine to be sure but your photos were not clear enough for me to be able to see that feature.
Regards
Steve
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Thanks Steve. I’ve still got the mines actually, here are closeups which will might make this a bit clearer. I’m hampered by the lack of decent camera for stuff like this, I just use a cheapo clip-on macro lens on my phone.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Coiled frass #2
Coiled frass #2
Coiled frass #1
Coiled frass #1
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Yes they are Stigmella hemargyrella. I can see the coiled frass on those photos.
Regards
Steve