Picking up....

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Picking up....

Post by SteveH »

Well it doesn't take much to place a different slant on mothing now does it ......

At the beginning of this week we caught our 2nd ever Chocolate Tip (the first being earlier this year), along with Ypsolopha scabrella, whilst last night we had both 'Copper Underwings' and September Thorn.

For those still interested but who haven't made the trip yet, Spindle Ermines (Yponomeuta cagnagella) remain on the wing at their Frodsham Marsh site; on Thursday 11th there were still several thousands.

Steve

stevehind

Re: Picking up....

Post by stevehind »

Picking up....:

The catches have also been much better here in Higher Poynton during the past couple of nights; 383 moths of 66 species on Thursday, which included my gardens first Orthotelia sparganella and Agriphila latistria. 365 moths of 60 species last night, although sadly the 'Blunderwings' accounted for 160 of those. Also left another Robinson at Aqualife, a local water plant nursery at Poynton on Thursday and caught another 350 moths of 78 species. As is to be expected it does well for wetland species, with Bulrush Wainscot; Crescent; Brown, Ringed & Small China-marks; Limnaecia phragmitella and Elachista maculicerusella. The site borders Wigwam Wood and last year I caught a couple of Psoricoptera gibbosella, which are only known elsewhere in Cheshire from Witton Flashes at Northwich. Last week I caught eight of these and this week another twelve, so obviously a good colony on the oaks.

Steve

Attachments
Psoricoptera gibbosella, Poynton
Psoricoptera gibbosella, Poynton