What Has The Year Been Like?.............

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

What Has The Year Been Like?.............

Post by melbellingham »

I visit the forum most days and see that it is frequently used, but the majority of the posts are requests for help or confirmation. A useful reason to use the forum of course, as I have done myself many times in the past, but what sort of a year has everyone had?

Has anybody had a brilliant or less than brilliant year for instance, or recorded new moths for their gardens? I for one have missed such news, as I do like to compare my records with other recorders.

My year has been reasonable, although many moths that I recorded last year have not appeared this year, but I have also recorded moths this year that I have not regularly recorded in the past. It must be similar for others.

Has anyone found that a recent arrival in Cheshire has either become more common or has not appeared at all this year?

Vine’s Rustic Hoplodrina ambigua for instance first appeared in my garden in Aug 2018, when I had 3 records of 3 specimens. In 2019 I had 9 records of 9 specimens and so far this year (2020) I have 13 records of 20 specimens. Mainly singletons, but this year I recorded 2 specimens on 18th and 26th of August, 4 on the 27th and 3 last night (02/09/2020).

Is the species still mainly confined to the west of the county, or has it spread to other areas? If it has, let us all hear about it, PLEASE.
Vine's Rustic - 27/08/2020
Vine's Rustic - 27/08/2020
Vine's Rustic - 2020 09 02
Vine's Rustic - 2020 09 02
Mel.
A_Neal

Re: What Has The Year Been Like?.............

Post by A_Neal »

Hi Mel,

With it being my first full year of mothing I haven’t got a full picture of the winners and the losers this year.

Highlights in the garden in terms of rarities have been the 6th, 7th and 8th Cheshire records of Aethes beatricella and a Black Arches. Highlights in terms of wow factor have been 4 species of Hawkmoth, Streamer, Buff Arches and the various Prominents to name a few. The list is endless!

Vine’s Rustics first appeared here in mid August this year when I caught 2. Since then I’ve caught 2 more including one last night. Another species which has been quite common here has been the Sycamore. I’ve caught 5 but never more than 1 a night this year. I reckon it will become increasingly regular here over the next few years due to the fact there are 2 large sycamore trees in a neighbours garden.

Large Yellow Underwing numbers seem to be much reduced this year. I caught 2215 over 14 nights in August last year including a total of 314 on the 24th August. I have only got past 150 in a night this year once and am yet to pass 2000 specimens this year. Has anyone else had a lack in LYUW or is it just me?

Obviously, the peak season has long gone but I’m still optimistic that I’ll get a decent autumn here.

Regards,
Alex
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Alex,

Nice to know that you are catching a few nice moths.

I've never really done well for prominents with only Pale prominent showing up this year.

I had my first Sycamore last year with 2 specimens, and I've had 3 this year. Hopefully they will continue to spread.

I have 59 records of Large YU this year with a total of 1250 moths. My highest count is 92.

My highest ever total was 172 back in 2008. In recent years I have not made many 100+ counts, and this year has been nothing exceptional.

Black Arches would be new here. Last year I spent a week in Herefordshire, near to Hay-on-Wye, where Black Arches turned up every night, sometimes in double figures.

Happy thoughts.

Mel.
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Hi Mel,

I haven't done any kind of comparison of numbers in my garden between this and previous years, though in terms of numbers of common species it feels about generally on a par with last year. A couple of species have plummeted in number - Blastobasis lacticolella and Lesser Yellow Underwing spring to mind.

However what I've enjoyed tremendously is a positive flood of species I haven't recorded in the garden before. Some of these, though by no means all, are due to leaf mine searching and dissection. It will be largely because I've been trapping quite a bit more this year, working at home I now have the luxury of an extra hour in the morning to go through the catch!

Stigmella sakhalinella (mine)
Ectoedemia occultella (mine)
Caloptilia populetorum
Caloptilia rufipennella (mine)
Caloptilia azaleella - Azalea Leaf Miner
Callisto denticulella (mine)
Phyllonorycter maestingella (mine)
Ypsolopha alpella
Argyresthia semifusca
Bryotropha terrella
Carpatolechia fugitivella
Archips xylosteana - Variegated Golden Tortrix
Eulia ministrana
Cochylis atricapitana
Bactra lancealana
Zeiraphera isertana
Eucosma hohenwartiana
Acrobasis repandana
Pyralis farinalis - Meal Moth
Hypsopygia costalis - Gold Triangle
Pyrausta aurata
Udea lutealis
Currant Clearwing
Chinese Character
Humming-bird Hawk-moth
Small Yellow Wave
Barred Rivulet
Ochreous Pug
Lime-speck Pug
Satin Beauty
Blotched Emerald
Grey Dagger (gen det)
Sycamore
Copper Underwing (gen det)
Common Rustic (gen det)
Tawny Marbled Minor (gen det)
Antler Moth
Cabbage Moth

This takes my garden total to 446 species not counting aggregates, which I'd never have dreamed would be possible when I started this lark. This will increase during the winter as I do more get dets.

(I've only recorded 2 Vine's Rustics this year).

Cheers
Paul
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Paul,

Some nice species there. Most of my new garden moths these days are micro’s, and it definitely helps if you can dissect them. I struggle with the really small specimens, so don’t very often attempt those.

Stigmella sakhalinella (mine) and Callisto denticulella (mine) would be new for here, but no chance of the latter as I’ve no apple trees.

Caloptilia populetorum, Carpatolechia fugitivella, Currant Clearwing and Barred Rivulet would also be new moths.

Bactra lancealana and Acrobasis repandana were both NFG this year.

Three other NFG micro’s this year were Elachista canapennella, Coleophora alticolella and Tinea pellionella, all confirmed by gen det.

I had already retired when I started recording regularly but have often wondered how others who are up early in the mornings to go to work ever manage.

Mel.
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

You're right Mel - folks haven't been posting their catches as regularly as they might, so here's a snapshot from the hills this morning: 12 species, 25 moths. NFY was Lunar Underwing, most abundant was Autumnal Rustic (6; followed closely by Large Yellow Underwing at 5). A nice Mother of Pearl, a reasonable Blastobasis adustella and a tired Eudonia lacustrata on the micro front. Copper Underwing agg probably peaking here.

On the year front - it ain't over yet! Hoping for a late September heatwave......

Cheers, Julian
Attachments
Lunar Underwing
Lunar Underwing
Blastobasis adustella
Blastobasis adustella
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Julian,

The hills are alive with moths by the sound of it, as here on the Wirral last night (04/09/2020) I only recorded 9 species and 17 moths. Almost half of which were Large YU and Tachystola acroxantha (4 each).

It is getting Late in the season, so members will have less to report, but this year with the threat from the pandemic, I have been at home more and not met anyone, so have missed the members highlights and news.

Like you though, I am looking forward to the autumn species. I’ve already made a start with both Sallow and Centre-barred Sallow.

Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel,

This years looking pretty good so far compared to 2019. Below is a few comparisons.

Oak Hook-tip 2019=1. 2020=8
Heart and Dart 2019=220. 2020=421
Elephant Hawkmoth 2019=2. 2020=35
Scalloped Oak 2019=13. 2020=82
Swallow-tail 2019=6. 2020=26
Gold Spot 2019=5. 2020=24
Bright-line Brown-line 2019=4. 2020=40
Willow Beauty 2019=45. 2020=145
Peppered Moth 2019=1. 2020=15

On the down side.
Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing 2019=65. 2020=0.
Dark Arches 2019=66. 2020=34

Early Summer was really busy, with a number of species arriving not seen for a few years.
Beautiful Carpet, White Satin Moth, Birdswing, Shaded Broad-bar, Small Elephant Hawkmoth, Treble-lines
Scarce Silver-lines, Dingy Shell and Ear Moth agg.

Also there were 8 new species for the garden.
Grey Birch, Cream Wave, Pale-shouldered Brocade, Large Emerald, Antler Moth, Buff Footman, Small Rufous
and a Lifer Varied Coronet.

July was a dead loss slowly picking up again in August.

Still waiting for my first Vine's Rustic and Small Ranunculus, which is getting closer though.
Paul Brewster or Paul Hill caught one in Moulton only a couple of miles away.
Maybe next year hopefully.

I'm pleased with the results this year, which has helped with the boredom of lockdown.

Regards
Greg
P.S Photo of Varied Coronet below.
Attachments
Varied Coronet
Varied Coronet
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

If I count species seen to date, I can probably say the same as you about the year. I have had a quick look at my macro records for this year, and to date I have recorded 168 species. I have recorded 2 new species for the garden (Water Carpet and Bordered Beauty) this year, but I have also recorded 3 species that I had not yet recorded last year.

For the same period last year I had recorded 166 species.

I usually keep a tally of moth species recorded the previous year (2019), and list species that ‘have gone missing’ in the current year (2020).

This list contains 27 species, so this year (for the numbers to be roughly similar) I have recorded over 20 different species, some of which are not regular garden records.

Listed below are the ‘good moths for my garden’ with the number of previous years recorded in brackets. I have been recording since 2003.

Mullein (1), Brown Silver-lines (1), Early Moth (2), Small Elephant Hawk Moth (2), Small Ranunculus (3), Engrailed (5), Sallow Kitten (6), Ghost Moth (6), Lime-speck Pug (8), Mouse Moth (9), which were all appreciated of course.

The others missing were regular species in most years, that just went missing.

Oak Hook-tip, Common Wave, Small Phoenix, Ochreous Pug, Pale Tussock, Small Fan-foot, Burnished Brass, Gold Spot, Middle-barred Minor, Dingy Shears and Green Silver-lines.

I am not at all envious of your Varied Coronet, but then again I could just be fooling myself.

Mel.
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Glad someone else likes the forum format.
We have a had reasonable year. Not sure of totals etc but have noticed reduced LYU and Lesser YU.
We have had quite few new moths to the garden, several thanks to dissection by Steve Hind and one outstanding unknown micro. We posted the image on the micro moths of GB and have had not comments as to its ID, Steve is also not sure what it is.
We find it difficult to follow up posts on Facebook the forum gives us good access to all our previous posts and there are many mothers out there to help us with ID. Thanks to all forum followers. Bob & Helen
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Bob and Helen,

I am often told by friends and colleagues that Facebook is a great source of information, but I’ve never joined.

I had assumed that the lack of reports was because they were now being directed away from this forum as the Facebook group took over, but I can see from the replies to my post, that members are still supporting the forum.

Thanks for your input, and I hope you eventually ID your micro.

Mel.
swampthing

Post by swampthing »

Despite a few good new ones for the garden (blackneck easily the star), and a couple at lights on the housing estate I live on (oak hook-tip, buff footman), I'd say things have been fairly dismal.The lack of carpets and pugs should be a matter of deep concern, and I part base this on my diurnal sightings. As I browse the guides checking what I might see around now, I am reminded of the number of 'common' moths of many kinds which have gone to ground this year. Mothing was supposed to sustain my wildlife interest when getting about becomes more difficult. As things stand, I feel that this hobby is going to become like birding is now: long periods of nothing, with the odd moment of interest. Of course if I won the lottery, and could move away from east Cheshire (Greater Manchester in reality), that might make all the difference! :lol:

Cheers,
Andy B.