Decent night and a couple of micros

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
A_Neal

Decent night and a couple of micros

Post by A_Neal »

Hi all,

Had a decent night here in Hoole last night with 17 species of 97 moths. Highlights were a NFG Lime - Speck Pug and NFY Brindled Green. A Light Emerald and 9 Angle Shades also added some interest.

Other moths in the trap were: Common Marbled Carpet (4), Willow Beauty (2), Lesser Yellow Underwing (37), Silver Y (5), Square Spot Rustic (3), Large Yellow Underwing (18), Brimstone (2), Old Lady (1), Light Brown Apple Moth (2), Setaceous Hebrew Character (5), Shuttle Shaped Dart (2), Snout (1), Copper Underwing (1), Chequered Fruit Tree Tortrix (1) and the unidentified micro.

Other nice new moths recently have been Orange Sallow, Ypsolopha sequella (both NFG) and several Frosted Orange (NFY).

Also, there have been a couple of micros which I would appreciate someone to confirm/identify them.

Hope others have been getting good catches recently,

Regards,
Alex
Attachments
Unknown
Unknown
Monopis laevigella?
Monopis laevigella?
PaulHopkins

Re: Decent night and a couple of micros

Post by PaulHopkins »

Hi Alex,

I reckon your first micro looks good for Scrobipalpa costella. I'll pass on the second, I find that group difficult.

Garden trapping has been run of the mill for me recently. Best recent moth is a Vestal, spotted by my kids as we walked home from school today!

Cheers
Paul
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Alex

Your second micro will be Skin Moth Monopis laevigella

Regards
Steve
A_Neal

Post by A_Neal »

Thanks Steve and Paul. Not many moths of interest recently but a Feathered Ranunculus and Pink Barred Sallow have been NFG over the last few nights.

Regards,
Alex
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Feathered Ranunculus appears to be having a good year. That's the first record for SJ46 since Roger Wilkinson had one at Upton in 1991 and Huw John showed me one last weekend which was new for Ellesmere Port. There have also been some good counts reported on the Facebook Group from the coast.
Regards
Steve