A very late Acleris aspersana?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Tim_Ward

A very late Acleris aspersana?

Post by Tim_Ward »

A very warm night last Thursday (29 October) produced a good catch in the trap, including December Moths, Red-green Carpet, Feathered Thorns, Yellow-line Quakers, November Moth agg (I intend to dissect), Juniper Carpet, Brick, Light Brown Apple Moth, Garden Rose Tortrix and what I think is Acleris aspersana (photos attached).
The book says A. aspersana is "single-brooded July-August and has been recorded.... in early September". Given this, I decided to dissect and attach photos of a rather botched dissection (the specimen refused to cooperate!). Is it surprising to find A. aspersana at the end of October or is this an example of changing flight periods?
Tim
Attachments
Tortrix 1.2 (2).JPG
Tortrix 1.6 (2).JPG
Tortrix 1.10 (2).JPG
stevehind

Re: A very late Acleris aspersana?

Post by stevehind »

Hi Tim

Acleris aspersana is rarely recorded in Cheshire and as you mention, the date looks odd. With it being so rare in these parts, I have little experience of the species but the cornuti in the aedeagus and the gnathos appear to differ from those examples on the Moth Dissection website.

You could try posting to the Moth Dissection Facebook Group where there are likely to be more members with experience of the species.

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Guys,

I'm just looking at this post and am a little confused. Nothing new, I know, but the image doesn't look like Acleris aspersana to me.

It looks more like Acleris sparsana, which is on the wing at this time of the year. Just a thought.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I dismissed Acleris sparsana thinking the moth was too small but after looking at the images on the Moth Dissection website would agree with Mel.

Regards
Steve
Tim_Ward

Post by Tim_Ward »

Steve, Mel
Sorry for confusing you.......I thought the moth was A. sparsana but when I looked it up in the book I looked at the entry for A. aspersana by mistake!
Again, apologies
Tim