Unknown micro

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
JohnR

Unknown micro

Post by JohnR »

It has been a decent enough start for me. Been trapping on warmish nights and caught the expected species: March Moths, Hebrew Characters, Small & Common Quakers, Clouded Drabs, and just singles of Grey Shoulder-knot, Satellite, Double-striped Pug and Yellow Horned.

Micros represented by a couple of Beautiful Plumes and this Caloptilia sp. I think it’s probably C. betulicola. Can this be sorted by a photo or is gen. det. necessary?

Cheers, John
Attachments
BE14790D-AE17-48EC-A0C4-03A1163F9823.jpeg
63EEF764-692A-488B-8DD6-40E56B5173AA.jpeg
stevehind

Re: Unknown micro

Post by stevehind »

Hi John
Most likely Caloptilia betulicola with the pale trochanter but the NMRS guidelines do suggest that it should be dissected to be sure.
Regards
Steve
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Thanks Steve,

I still have the moth. I would be grateful if you could confirm the ID by dissection should you have a spare moment.

Cheers, John
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi John

I'll have a go at dissecting it for you. Females are easy enough, although I have struggled with males of these two in the past so no guarantee of success.

Regards
Steve
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Thanks Steve,

You told me last year that C. betulicola has a white trochanter. In these better photos it is clearly white. Is this good enough for ID or is a dissection still required?

Cheers, John
Attachments
IMG_5536.JPG
IMG_5533.JPG
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi John
Those with a white trochanter do tend to be Caloptilia betulicola but not always. I have heard of at least one dissected specimen of C.elongella which also had a white trochanter, so I would only record light trapped specimens to species having dissected them.
Regards
Steve