Pammene giganteana

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
PaulHopkins

Pammene giganteana

Post by PaulHopkins »

Having heard that Pammene giganteana readily comes to the ALS pheromone lure for Grapholita molesta, I ordered the lure a few days ago. I put it out in my pheromone trap this morning at 11am, by 11:30 it had attracted a giganteana! I'm pretty confident this can be identified as such without dissection based on 1) appearance, 2) large size (for this genus), 3) flight season, 4) documented attraction to this pheromone.

I've also ordered the lure for Grapholita lobarzewskii which apparently can attract the same species, plus a couple of others - I'll try this when it arrives.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Pammene giganteana
Pammene giganteana
Pammene giganteana
Pammene giganteana
Pammene giganteana
Pammene giganteana
stevehind

Re: Pammene giganteana

Post by stevehind »

Nice find Paul
I would be worthwhile trying other sites, to see how widespread the species is.
Regards
Steve
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

A single giganteana to the SKI lure in the garden on 25/3/21.

I've also tried Burton Mere and Eccleston (on the River Dee near Chester) over the past couple of days, with no joy. However, today at Eastham Country Park three giganteana arrived within minutes of putting the MOL lure out. They were as interested in my hands as they were in the rubber bung lure itself, I guess since I'd handled it while setting up the trap.

Judging by the reports on the new Pheromone Lures for Moths Facebook group, this species is much commoner than it appeared previously; people are finding them all over England with the new lures.

Cheers
Paul
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Hi Paul

Do you have an address for the Pheromone lures for moths Facebook group - I've tried searchig Facebook for that group title, but with no luck.

Cheers

Clive
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Sorry Clive, I got the name of the group slightly wrong. Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/483245199514418.

Cheers
Paul
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Thanks - have asked to join.