Confirmation required.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Cymro

Confirmation required.

Post by Cymro »

Hi,
Lead-coloured drab-Little Sutton-001.JPG
This moth was in my allotment trap two nights ago with two twin-spot quakers (Anorthoa munda) as company. At first glance, it had the look of a Clouded drab (Orthosia incerta) but on further inspection it was, unlike the clouded drab, smaller, had rounded wings and feathered antennae (just about visible in this photo). I asked Mel Bellingham to have a look at it and he agreed with my ID. It was the first I'd seen for years and my first in Cheshire. Hoping that someone will confirm.
Regards
Huw
PaulHopkins

Re: Confirmation required.

Post by PaulHopkins »

You didn't mention the species, Huw! Lead-coloured Drab is one I've been hoping for for a long time, though I've not encountered it yet. For what it's worth, this looks good to me.

Cheers
Paul

EDIT - I tell a lie, I didn't see you named the image as LCD
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Perhaps they're moving in - I had one at my Boughton Heath allotment (near Chester Sainsbury's) on 19/03/2021 - a new moth entirely for me https://www.flickr.com/photos/149980226 ... ed-public/
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Huw,

Yes, I'm almost sure it's a Lead-coloured Drab.
Below is one I caught at Whixall a couple of years ago. Aspen and Poplar foodplant.
Great find in Cheshire. Although it could be under recorded due to it's similarity to Clouded Drab.

Regards
Greg
Attachments
Lead-coloued Drab
Lead-coloued Drab