Best Night of the Year + micro needing ID

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
A_Neal

Best Night of the Year + micro needing ID

Post by A_Neal »

Hi all,

Last night (30/3/21) was my best night of the year with 60 moths of 19 species coming to the trap. They were:

Common Plume (4), Twenty Plume (2), Double-Striped Pug (11), Common Quaker (14), Agonopterix heracliana/ciliella (1), Beautiful Plume (1), Leek Moth? (2), Small Quaker (11), Herald (1), Early Thorn (1), Agonopterix alstromeriana (2), Early Grey (1), Caloptilia species (1), Diamond-Back Moth (2), Clouded Drab (2), Hebrew Character (2), Light Brown Apple Moth (1), Pale Pinion (1) and Oak Nycteoline (1).

I also trapped on the 29th March catching 13 moths of 8 species, the highlights being a different Pale Pinion to the one caught on the 30th, a Water Carpet and a Red-Green Carpet.

Regards,
Alex
Attachments
Leek Moth?
Leek Moth?
Caloptilia populetorum?
Caloptilia populetorum?
melbellingham

Re: Best Night of the Year + micro needing ID

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Alex,

A good night here also, but not as good as yours.

Three species NFY were Herald, Diamond-back Moth and 2 Leek Moth. Photo of one of the latter attached, which I am of the opinion is your first image. Not sure about the other though.
Leek Moth - 30/03/2021
Leek Moth - 30/03/2021
Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Alex

Have a look at Caloptilia populetorum. Looks to be a better specimen than Tim's.

Regards
Steve
A_Neal

Post by A_Neal »

Hi Mel and Steve,

Thanks for replying. I wondered whether it was Caloptilia populetorum but wasn’t sure.

Regards,
Alex