Micro for confirmation of ID

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

Micro for confirmation of ID

Post by bobhelencoan »

We kept some debris after beating a blackthorn and a pussy willow tree 15th April. Tiny moth appeared yesterday. We think it is Argyresthia spinosella as it came form blackthorn. Would appreciate a confirmation. Thanks Bob & Helen
Attachments
side view
side view
top view
top view
GasMacc1

Re: Micro for confirmation of ID

Post by GasMacc1 »

Looks good to me. Sterling and Parsons have Argyresthia conjugella and A. semifusca as the similar species, but your moth has the orange-brown tegulae, is the right size and was found on the appropriate foodplant.

However, this would be the earliest (by a couple of weeks) of only 27 previous records in Cheshire, so I would be grateful for any other opinions!
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Looks good for Argyresthia spinosella. Argyresthia species can be easily disturbed from their foodplants but I don't think blackthorn has been worked that often, which would be why we don't have that many county records.
regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

The debris was collected on the 15th April by beating a blackthorn tree. The adult moth appeared in the container 4th May. The early appearance would probably be due to being indoors. Thanks for helping with the ID. Bob & Helen