The ‘Spring / May' lull has definitely not finished here.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

The ‘Spring / May' lull has definitely not finished here.

Post by melbellingham »

Since my last post following my records of 17/5/2021, my results have been as follows.

(18/5) 3 moths of 3 species, (19/5) 2/2, (21/5) 0, (22/5) 2/2, (23/5) 0 (24/5) 1, (25/5) 1.

So the ‘Spring / May' lull has definitely not finished here.

This year, as of last night (25/5/2021) I have recorded 39 macro and 15 micro species.
Last year (in the same period) I had recorded 61 macro and 37 micro species.

To this date I have a list of 28 macro species missing, that I had already recorded in 2020, several of which I suspect are already beyond their normal flight periods. Just to make the arithmetic understandable, I have recorded several species missing or that I had not yet recorded last year. I haven't looked at the micro species.

Recent ‘highlights’ are Green Carpet (19/5), Brimstone and Small Square-spot (22/5).

I have had several small sedge flies and one May Bug, but the lack of other flies and insects in my trap has been very noticeable.

Hope you are all doing at least a bit better than me and that the forecast warmer weather will improve things.

Mel.
Greg

Re: The ‘Spring / May' lull has definitely not finished here

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel,

The moth catches here for May have also been dire this year. This year started off slow, started picking up a little in March then went downhill rapidly the second half of April, May has been the worst since I started mothing. The usual
visitors have not turned up. The unpredictable weather must have had a dynamic effect not only on the insects but all our wildlife this year. Global warming is definitely having an effect.

Regards
Greg