More Moths of Late

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

More Moths of Late

Post by melbellingham »

It has been getting much better since my last post (26/5), no doubt the warmer temperatures have helped. It also helps when I can't sleep. The last 3 mornings I have been checking around the trap at 3:30 in the morning.

Night of 26/5/21 – min temp 8.9 deg. C (3 moths of 3 species}
Common Wave NFY.

27/5/21 – min 11.8 (28 of 8)
Poplar Hawkmoth, Scalloped Hazel and Firethorn Leaf Miner all NFY. I had 18 Tachystola acroxantha which obviously helped the total.

28/5/21 – min 13.6 (42 of 8)
Common Marbled Carpet, Common White Wave, Bee Moth, Argyresthia trifasciata and Agonopterix arenella all NFY. Tachystola acroxantha 21.

29/5/21 – min 10.3 (12 of 10)
Pale Tussock and Azalea Leaf Miner both NFY.

30/5/21 – min 9.5 (80 of 19)
May Highflyer, Codling Moth and a probable Caloptilia robustella all NFY.

31/5/21 – min 13.3 (65 of 22)
Silver Y, Marbled Minor agg., Spectacle, Dark Spectacle, Mottled Pug, Flame Carpet and Marbled Orchard Tortrix all NFY. Tachystola acroxantha 13.

1/6/21 – min 13.8 (108 of 26)
Buff-tip, White Ermine, Peppered Moth, Common Carpet, Green Pug, White-spotted Pug, Freyer’s Pug, Small Clouded Brindle, Eudonia angustea, Notocelia cynosbatella and Bucculatrix nigrocomella all NFY. Tachystola acroxantha 49.

I have now recorded 61 macro species to date, but in 2020 I had already recorded 84.

Mel.
Last edited by melbellingham on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GasMacc1

Re: More Moths of Late

Post by GasMacc1 »

Interesting stats.

Between 28th May and 30th May, despite a drop of over 4 degrees in minimum overnight temperature, your species count went up from 8 to 19!
melbellingham

Re: More Moths of Late

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Dave,

I always record the overnight temperature and had noticed that the temperatures were dropping, but I hadn’t noticed that the minimum temperature was missing from 1/6/21, which was 13.8 C.

However, I wouldn’t read too much into the stats as there are other variables to consider. The one which causes me the most problem is the strength and direction of any wind. Several nights recently there has been a cooling breeze affecting the location of my trap. To move it, I could be affecting my neighbours.

At this time of year I run my trap on a timer, which is set to turn off at 0400 hrs at the moment. It is still reasonably dark then, but the birds are not active. I don’t very often find wings scattered about and assume that any moths that may have been attracted to the trap, but have not entered it, could have escaped before the birds find them.

In my report I did state that I have been checking my trap recently, usually after 0300 hrs, but before 0400 hrs, and this has definitely made a difference to the moth and species count, as I have been potting up moths on most occasions, especially if they have been NFY. I have still checked my trap each of the last 2 mornings, but have found little on the wall besides Common Marbled Carpets.

Latest update.

2/6/21 – min 16.9 deg. C (77 moths of 26 species).
Foxglove Pug, Riband Wave and Small Magpie NFY. Tachystola acroxantha 17.

3/6/21 – min 8.8 C. (9 of 6)
Iron Prominent NFY. Tachy 4.

4/6/21 – min 10.8 C. (11 of 9)
Silver-ground Carpet and Plum Tortrix both NFY. Tachy 2.

Mel.