Query Noctuid ID, Please

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
davidtomlinson

Query Noctuid ID, Please

Post by davidtomlinson »

Query Noctuid ID, Please:

Trapped 31/08/11. Any suggestions? Square-spot Rustic?

Attachments
Noctuid Query ??
Noctuid Query ??
stevehind

Re: Query Noctuid ID, Please

Post by stevehind »

Yes David, a Square-spot Rustic (Xestia xanthographa).

Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

...a species that's been a bit thin on the ground so far this year.

Steve

davidtomlinson

Post by davidtomlinson »

Thank you, Steve and Steve. It hasn't been that thin on my ground - I had 5 on the 31st (the other 4 were less worn and the scallopy line was clear as well as darkening on the inner part of the ear spot). Looking at the notes, I've had at least two every trapping night since 21/08 - about the same as last year. Unlike Antlers - I have had about ten times as many Antlers this year as last.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I'm doing well for Square-spot Rustic this year; 18 last night brings the yearly total to 166, since my first on 2nd August. This compares to 179 last year and 102 in 2009. My best ever year for Antlers with 31 so far; my previous best was 20 in 1996. The one species that has shown a marked increase this past month has been Feathered Gothic, with 14 so far. There have been only eight in the previous 18 years trapping here. I have improved the habitat in my garden recently by converting the lawn into a meadow and the Feathered Gothic may well have taken up residence there, whereas previous records probably came from the nearby fields.
davidtomlinson

Post by davidtomlinson »

No Feathered Gothics in Disley yet! But 56 Antlers so far. Ha! Found something that Disley's good for!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Guys, there are some pretty scary numbers there!

We've had just 66 Sq-sp Rustics, which is a continuation of the decline we've been seeing here since our peak count of 461 in 1995, when we only trapped 55 times all year. This years count comes from 73 sessions thus far although I grant you only a fraction of any years sessions will be in their flight period. As for Antler, its a rarity for us, only ever recorded 13 since 1991, five of which were in that year - and not seen it at all since 2008. What we are getting in abundance at the moment is Green Carpet.. this years total is 41 up to now, and we've only ever trapped 76 (another 20 of those were last year).

Feathered Gothic would be new for our garden.... please send one this way!

Steve