Micromoth Identification

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Tom

Micromoth Identification

Post by Tom »

Micromoth Identification:

Hi All,

Just received this email from Roger W, can you help with the identifications?

Thanks

Hi Tom

Steve Hind suggests I should post these on the moth forum for comment. The Argyresthria could be pruniella or bonnetella ( I have both Cherry and Hawthorn in the garden). Steve suggests my query Bud Moth may be either Gypsonoma dealbana or sociana. We are both unsure about the Epermenia/Mompha. Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Rog

Attachments
Query - Epermenia chaerophylella or a Mompha sp. ?
Query - Epermenia chaerophylella or a Mompha sp. ?
Query Bud Moth ?
Query Bud Moth ?
Query Argyresthia pruniella ?
Query Argyresthia pruniella ?
Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
SteveH

Re: Micromoth Identification

Post by SteveH »

Regarding these - I can't get any of them to species.

The Olethreutid may well be dealbana - I'd think more that than sociana, but am not sure either way - I hate them all :) There is a new guide out on these, the so-called Bird Dropping Tortrix moths of the British Isles by Clifton and Wheeler - available from Anglian Lepidopterists - a very useful addition to the library.

The Mompha... for I think its more likely that as it seems to be holding itself flat - is something I can't be sure about.

The Argyresthia has lost a lot of scales, so again its not easy - we are catching only bonnetella of late though, with pruniella being an earlier moth for us.

Not much help - maybe buying the book will help for next time with the tort.

Steve

rogerw

Post by rogerw »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for looking at these. I do already have the 'birdshit' book but it doesn't help me distinguish from the pics i took, mainly because it gives little or no idea of extent of variation and also because it does appear to require a pinned specimen to see some of the distinguishing detail. Frustrating being unable to ID these moths.

Rog

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Roger,

Sounds like you are ready to start on the next stage of identification, which is to dissect them. This is the only way to be sure with a lot of these worn specimens.

Regards,

Steve