More Help Required with another Tortrix

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

More Help Required with another Tortrix

Post by melbellingham »

On 10/06/21 I caught a tortrix that I could not identify. The wing length was 7-8mm and I assumed it was worn and had lost necessary ID features. I retained it for dissection.

When setting the genitalia plate I was unable to prevent damage on the left harpe.

My identification was made after comparing the genitalia plate with an image on the Moth Dissection website. The moth I compared it with was 49.330 Cydia conicolana.

Checking an image of an adult with my image, I thought I could see similarities.

This moth is not on the Cheshire list, so what have I missed?
Cydia conicolana???
Cydia conicolana???
Cydia - genitalia plate
Cydia - genitalia plate
Once more I would appreciate any help or comments.

Mel.
PaulHopkins

Re: More Help Required with another Tortrix

Post by PaulHopkins »

Hi Mel,

To me the dissection looks spot on, and as far as I can make out the moth image fits. As you say there are no Cheshire records, but I have seen a record of exit holes in pine cones in Lancashire from earlier this year, so not a million miles away. I’ll leave it to others more expert for confirmation, but I vote yes!

Cheers
Paul
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comment which are very encouraging. If the experts do have opinions, I hope they agree with ours.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Nice find Mel

I don't think there can be much doubt about it being Cydia conicolana with such a distinctive gen. plate.

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I was fairly confident that I had the right moth, but even my brand new copy of Manley didn't inspire me, with no coverage shown within at least a hundred miles.

Mel.