Vine's Rustic - Is it still Spreading?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Vine's Rustic - Is it still Spreading?

Post by melbellingham »

2021 in general has been a relatively poor year in my garden, with many species missing this year that I had recorded last year. At present the missing list stands at 32 species, but there is still a chance of a few of them turning up, but also a chance of a few more additions.

I read recently that one member had had a quiet night for Large YU with only 60 recorded. Last night I had my highest count of the year with 59.

I also read recently that another member had recorded Vine’s Rustic, so it appears that they are still spreading, and could even be widespread by now.

By choice I have not joined the Facebook group, and as this forum does not often have many reports of daily catches or highlights, I do not now get to read what other members are catching.

It might be that many members are now recording Vine’s Rustic, but last night (29/08/21) was a better night than in recent weeks for numbers of some species here, including Vine’s Rustic.

In 2018 I recorded 3 single individuals, in 2019 I had 8 single individuals. In 2020 it was 21 records of 32 individuals with a max of 4 on 27/8/20.

This year was progressing along the same lines with 14 records of 22 individuals with a max of 4 on 28/8.

Last night (29/8/21) I recorded 20 Vine’s Rustic (19 in the trap with one nearby). Most were in excellent condition.

If some members are still not recording this species, I hope that this record means that Vine’s Rustic is now firmly established and will continue to spread.

Mel.
PaulHopkins

Re: Vine's Rustic - Is it still Spreading?

Post by PaulHopkins »

Hi Mel,

You're doing better than me, this year so far I've had a grand total of 3 Vine's Rustics. From reports I've seen, I believe it's still confined to the west of the county, unless anyone can correct me.

Cheers
Paul
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. I’m not sure why I should be getting these numbers, as I do not live adjacent to any open habitat. The nearest likely areas are a school and a park both approximately 300 yards away as the moth flies, but there is a line of trees passing both the school and another small grassy area which then continues past my garden. I assume they must come from those areas.

I do however grow several of the listed foodplants and tolerate various weeds, so my garden may attract them.

I had two species from my missing list last night (30/08/21) with Gold Spot and Sallow appearing and had 81 Large YU. Vine’s Rustic in the teens, but many I assume were recaptures.

Thanks again,
Mel.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Hi Mel

I's not spread here yet!

Regards, Mike
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel,

I got my first Vine's Rustic last night in my Davenham (Nr Northwich) garden. So they seem to be spreading their range. Not been a bad year so far with a few NFG Satin Wave, Bullrush Wainscot, Haworth's Pug, Slender Brindle (4 in one night), Vine's Rustic, Coronet and a lifer Straw Underwing. Also only my second Vapourer in my garden, in the trap this time, previously one in 2012 on a fence panel.

Regards
Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg and Mike,

Thanks for your update. Seems that Vine's Rustic is continuing to spread, but has not found Mike's trap yet.

New for garden species do not find my trap too often these days, but I have had 2 micro's (details in recent posts) and a new macro (31/8/21) when I found Grey Chi on the wall adjacent to the trap.
Grey Chi
Grey Chi
Also on the same night I recorded Red Underwing, a species I don't see every year.
Red Underwing
Red Underwing
Thanks again,
Mel.
GasMacc1

Post by GasMacc1 »

It's true that the vast majority of the Vine's Rustics have been reported from the west of the county. Recent exceptions, though, have been in Alsager, Nantwich and Elworth (near Sandbach).
shearwater

Post by shearwater »

Hi
Just to emphasise the western bias I had 14 in the trap at New Brighton last night, the highest number since I first started recording them 4 years ago.
Cheers
Rob
shearwater

Post by shearwater »

And now I've had 29 this morning, feel sure they'll be spreading into Cheshire soon!
Cheers
Rob
GrahamJones

Post by GrahamJones »

Numbers have noticeably increased in my garden in Neston this year too. Getting 20+ each night at the moment.
A_Neal

Post by A_Neal »

Hi all,

I seem to be getting a few most nights recently in Chester.

Regards,
Alex
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Not yet had a Vine's rustic in Waverton yet. Bob & Helen
mikew

Post by mikew »

I've not had it here in Burwardsley

Mike
Greg

Post by Greg »

My first one here in Davenham September. Paul Brewster also got one in Moulton about a mile away from me
three or four weeks later. Must be slowly spreading East.