Micro ID help

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
andrewjcharlton

Micro ID help

Post by andrewjcharlton »

Any ideas on this micro?
I wondered about Acleris kochiella, but that isn't reported from Cheshire as fas as I can tell.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew
Attachments
DSCN7821.JPG
DSCN7818.JPG
DSCN7823.JPG
GasMacc1

Re: Micro ID help

Post by GasMacc1 »

At first sight, I thought it would be easy to identify this one as one of the commoner tortrix moths, perhaps one that comes in a large variety of forms. The more I looked, however, the greater the possible match with Acleris kochiella (which would be new for the county).

Flight season, size, overall wing shape, markings (and absence of markings) seem to fit quite well.

I thought about Garden Rose Tortrix, but that often has an "upside-down Y" mark on the dorsum, from the base. Cnephasia species? Seem to be slimmer that the moth in the photo.

We definitely need a second and third opinion! :-)
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

I wonder if it’s worth considering one of the less usual forms of Acleris sparsana? One of the images at https://mothdissection.co.uk/species.ph ... s_sparsana looks rather similar.

Cheers
Paul
andrewjcharlton

Post by andrewjcharlton »

Thank you Paul, I'll go with that. I was not aware of some of these forms of A.sparsana and one of them certainly looks a very good match.

Andrew